View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
I am in agreement with the "evolutionary" theory of improvised-to-standardised armor for gun trucks/technicals..
1. Whatever comes to hand--sandbags, brick/concrete, metal plates, chain link fence and sheet metal (pre-detonation of shaped charge warheads. The sandbags would be easily replaceable, and chain link and sheet metal are ubiquitous, except perhaps in the desert or deep jungle. I can even see garbage dumpsters cannibalized for their nice, large metal plates to be slung/welded to the vehicle.

Question of a technical nature; I have seen and read descriptions of spall liners as upgrades for APCs and other AFVs. Anyone with an Armored or Mechanized background: how hard or possible would it be to remove said spall liners from an otherwise disabled vehicle for reinstallation on a guntruck?
There are companies that do hardening for vehicles and make spall blankets and hard kevlar slabs to install within vehicles. But it's better, as Panther says, to have the hardening company to make something that is designed for your vehicle and fits the interior like a glove (and that would include a new or reconditioned vehicle as well).

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com