View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

I am not talking about steam ships - I am talking about steam locomotives. I live in PA and there are a bunch of operational steam locomotives on various small railroads here. And PA is overflowing with coal.

Add in the PA railroad museum that has the shops of the Strasburg Railroad right across the street and connected to it by rail and you can pretty rapdily put together 4-5 steam locomotives that can pull trains back and forth between PA and OK. You may have to fight your way thru.

But if guys can do it in Poland in Going Home they can sure as hell do it in the US.

As for the authors - sorry but they made one hell of a lot of mistakes and we have discussed those too. Frankly no military would be that stupid to not reinforce that division and make it a priority.

And before you go all canon on me - the game basically stopped in mid April of 2001 as far as the US goes. There were a few isolated Challenge articles but thats it. Any projections in HW are just that - projections - and in this case of one author and not GDW as a whole.

And in the case of HW it was a dead end. Nothing came out of that module except a few articles in Challenge that could occur as they were even without HW.

It has already has been pointed out HW shot big time holes in previously released modules - i.e. they didnt even fact check their own stuff that good when they did it. They are infamous for that - i.e. the Challenge magazine article that has a nuclear sub commander in charge of the Hyman Rickover. If they had him then why wasnt he in Last Submarine.

Answer - because the authors probably didnt even read other peoples modules half the time.

You can defend canon all you want - but its flat out wrong here. And the mention of the BMP being with the 49th for years in the Soviet Vehicle Guide and eventually ending up at the HQ building at Fort Sill shows that other GDW authors thought the same thing, at least as far as the 49th Division and what would happen to it.

If 90th Corps is destroyed and they get driven out of OK then there is no Fort Sill left.

Some of the modules have stuff that makes no sense and shoudl be ignored - and frankly unless Far Future gets off the dime and starts issuing new modules we are the ones now who dictate the game, not GDW and not Far Future.

You can play it as you like and I hope you do so - but as far as I am concerned and for several others on the board the canon for the 49th needs to be changed - and in my game and campaigns and any modules or adventures I write it will be.

And again you can choose to ignore them and go with Mad Max - and if you do go right ahead and have fun doing so. I am not saying anyone has to do anything at all to canon if they dont want to.

Canon is what we make of it until we get new stuff otherwise from Far Future or whoever one day buys them out.