View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Internet Intellectual

Kevin Dockery apparently had a huge dislike for the M16 series. As he is a Viet Nam veteran I can fully sympathize. The introduction really did cost some Troops their lives.

The Stoner system is pretty unique. As a system the whole kit really does make some sense. No unit is really going to field the whole assemblage and there wasn't a single county that was going to scrap their arsenal for such a system.

The SEALs employed the Stoner MK 23. The belt fed light machinegun. This fulfilled their niche for a belt fed light support weapon. There wasn't a lot of choice for a light 5.56 machine gun in the late 60's.

I don't use it. I am writing my own combat loads based on Team assignment.

Rifleman (most common), Radio Operator, Team Leader, Field Scientist, First Contact, Light support, Vehicle crewman, etc, etc, etc.

Basing that weapons load out around the job description. Things like the M202 wouldn't be a primary load. That is mission specific equipment, same for the FIM-92 stinger.

Do I like the Stoner system? Yes. Do I use it in the game? Only if the PCs want to play a vintage game.

As for going up in caliber. No. 5.56 will get the job done and basically you get two 5.56 for one 7.62 considering weight. If you are really concerned about damage the Morrow Project is a private organization and not bound by Geneva/Hague, hollow points are in then.