View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 01:32 AM

Another canon vs non-canon thing.

Dudes, if you want things bad enough and the Mexicans so weak the Littleton collection can run roughshod over them, have at it. If you want things not quite so bad and the Mexicans so strong they can hand troops using Littletons collection their heads on a platter, then fine.

I dropped a whole battalion worth of WWII vintage vehicles in the SF area in my campaign. MGM had commissioned replicas and gathered original T34s, Panthers, Tigers, Shermans and a gaggle of light armor for a planned WWII epic, and they got put into service. Did they kick the Mexicans back to the border; no. But it added some fun flavor to the game.

As I have said before, use canon as a faithful Bible or as an inspirational guide. The central important thing....Littleton had an amazing collection of a battalion worth of armored vehicles and the expertise to keep them operational. The collection was far out of the way and WOULD have survived even the most full scale nuclear attack of the Soviets. There simply was nothing worth hitting using a nuke within 40 or so miles. If you are 10 miles from ground zero, unless its a 25-megaton, you're relatively safe. That's why, per canon, Barksdale AFB must be fully operational. Shreveport is simply too far away for a 250 kt detonation to damage the base. Contrary to popular belief, there NEVER were enough nukes to destroy everything. The world (even just the US) is simply too big for you to cover; no matter the size of the bomb, blast effects still have a finite reach. Fallout will be a problem, but even people at Hiroshima (16kt yield) survived within about 200 meters of ground zero and lived for years afterward.

And oh yes. they do keep obsolete stuff just lying around - the Springfield 1884s show that. Up till Clinton got a bug up his ass and started having the military scrapping things, there were thousands of M1 rifles and carbines in the warehouses. You can still get 30-06 ammo from CMP. We even had a couple of 105mm AAA guns from the 50s in a hanger in New Orleans with the 926th TFW as I recall, and their were M47s and M60A2s in the POMCUS warehouses in Europe in 1993.