View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 03:48 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
I wonder what patch the 36th Mech is wearing? The RL and historic incarnation of the 36th wears the “T patch”, which the 36th brigade gave up when they folded into the 49th AD in the 90s. With an extant 36th Brigade the “T patch” would probably be claimed. Maybe the army makes a new patch, or maybe they take the interim 36th airborne patch from the 60s, the “star patch”? Or maybe the 36th brigade loses their patch when they get folded into the 44th?

Patches, etc. seem like small things, but unit identity is a large part of cohesion and combat effectiveness, especially in ARNG organizations or in divisions with storied legacies. Patches are one artifact of that identity.
I have the 36th ID using the "T Patch"; when the 36th Brigade is rolled into the 46th ID (where I put them as I shuffled brigades to account for the 29th ID existing) I have them swapping to the 46th Division patch. I figure that to build the new divisional identities when the formerly independent brigades are thrust into divisions together that the brigade patches go; this also helps break down intra-unit barriers in the new composite battalions (cavalry, engineer, CEWI) that are formed. And yes, Joe is going to bitch about it. It's his right!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...