View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
[Armchair Commando]

Send a message via MSN to Snake Eyes Send a message via Yahoo to Snake Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight2000v3MM

Oh... but wait... then there's SMG vs. shotgun in CQB LOL.
And then we could argue over traditional stocks vs. pistols grips, semi-auto vs. manual action, and slugs vs. all the different kinds of shot. It opens up a whole new world!

In all seriousness, it comes down to picking the right tool for the job, like I said before, but that depends largely on one's contextual interpretation of the job at hand. I'm sure somebody will pipe up if I'm wrong, but all other options being roughly equal, isn't the current preferred military method for securing a structure more along the lines of calling in an airstrike or artillery barrage on it? Only half joking there.

Even in the absence of combined arms support in the post-Twilight War era, a military entry is usually along the lines of "Kill everybody in the room" whereas an entry in a LE context usually gets tied up in preserving various and sundry Constitutional rights of the occupants. Same basic job, vastly differing process. Smack me if I'm too far off base.

The real task is framing the difference in relevant game mechanics over pure roleplaying. If the system you use doesn't make any meaningful distinction between submachinguns, shotguns or assault/battle rifles in CQB then there really is no reason not to use an FAL for every job.