View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
The deadman switch is disabled as systems are offlined to present the appearance of the death of the Project and prevent PB2 froming coming online and attracting the same hostile attentions.
I have a problem with this for a few reasons.

First, as an electrical engineer, if they can tap into the system well enough to disable the deadman switch (which properly would not even be networked to avoid this kind of cockup) then they can deliver a message so that when they woke up on time they get the message to lay low and look out for hostiles. Regardless, upon waking their first task would be to contact PB1, and the lack of a response would tell them 90% of what they need to know.

Second, it is just a huge gamble. How would they have any idea how long PB2 needs to slumber, and why would they take the risk that their estimate is accurate enough to justify the risk?

Quote:
Scale. PB1 can probable handle all the communications, cataloging, and directing the reconnaissance for the initial period with Regional bases supporting the Combined Groups in the field. As time passes and recovery efforts grow it will become to cumbersome for one major HQ to process it all in a timely manner. PB2 will take over half at some point likely 2-5 years after the start of the Project.
Not the way I would do it but not unreasonable either. Go for it.

Quote:
Meanwhile having the production facilities to produce new material for the consumed stores of a Regional or Delta base. Consumption models would all be based up conjecture and with the devastation of urban centers someplace is going to have to produce the tools and machinery to get those running once again.
That is a great argument for having a factory somewhere, but not a great argument for collocating with PB2. It's like putting all the teams in a combined group all in one bolthole - the coordination advantage is offset by the massive risk of putting so much in one basket. Just look at how much of the Project's resources were lost with PB1, would you really compound your risk by doing that twice??

Quote:
Missed the point. They are not frozen to be a part of the Project or the recovery phase. They are not even trained. They are civilian academics, probably the least likely to survive based on my limited personal experience of the species calling itself "Professor". I must profess.
I guess I just don't see the advantage of spending freeze tubes and storage space on something that could be replicated with a couple of digital libraries, more useful Morrow personnel, and whoever could be scrounged from the survivors. This seems like a relatively low priority, and very long term. Personally, I would spend that space on more field teams. Maybe make sure that some of THEM are PhD's. Recruit from Alaska, they grow them rugged.

And yes, I absolutely missed your point.