Thread: Prime Base
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
True, failure is in the system but, you would have an army of technicians available.
And the point is not to risk them. If your concern is being located, sending a guy out a door is the last thing you want to do!

Quote:
As for deliberate intent. No system is fool proof or survives first contact with a hostile force. Redundancy and simultaneous transmission.
But it still isn't better than just running a wire. I can't believe how often I have to tell this to junior engineers, most of the time getting fancy causes you more problems than it solves. If your current widget solves the current problem, don't go looking to defeat molemen capable of following a cable through rock down to the horizontal pipe it then follows to the base. As you mentioned, you have experienced staff, why burden them with an overly-complex system when a simple one will do just as well and still leave them free to respond to that hostile force?

Quote:
Sure, they go a signal; one, five, twenty, and echoes. Then they have to pin it down form all the camouflage and ground clutter. I would rather herd cats.

You would have to have a system that could scan the entirety of the radio spectrum; then discern nanoseconds of deliberate transmission from radioactivity or solar activity, even stellar activity. The time spacing between the deliberately chopped up radio is also deliberately at different intervals. Far too fast for a human, it takes a computer processor to gather it all, and render it back into a coherent, properly ordered transmission. Note, it is also encrypted too. This way private snuffy can't eavesdrop on the Corps commanders push to Divisions, separate Brigades, and task forces. If you don't have the encryption; you don't have the time (satellite cesium clock regulated), the frequency hop, or the message unlocked to determine if you heard the noise from a star that died a billion years ago or .000000001 of second transmission for "Radio check, over".

This makes radio intercept unlikely in the extreme.
We're not talking about radio intercept, we're talking about radio location. We're also talking about relatively simple blocking just by raising the noise level. RF was my bread and butter for years, first as a technician and then as an engineer. If PB is hull down and acting like a rock, I can sit there all day and listen to those sensors chatter back and forth at each other. And if I have the resources to endanger PB then odds are pretty good that I have the resources to do this - it takes less than you might think if you have someone reasonably knowledgeable. And the fancier your system gets, the more power it needs and the easier it is to find.

So again... why not just run wires through the rock? If they can tunnel after them, won't you already know it and take action against them?