View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
Thanks for the history lesson, Russ. I've read Max Hastings' book on the Falklands War a couple of times but I didn't know about all of the previous 20th century Argentine attempts to reclaim the islands.
No problem. I just hope it didn't come across as patronising. I seem to recall seeing a documentary once where an Argentinian said that kids there are taught that Britain stole the islands from Argentina years ago, and that most Argentinians feel very strongly that they should be returned. On the other hand, in 1982 very few Brits knew where they were. I was 12 when the Argentinians invaded, and remember wondering how they'd managed to get an invasion force to Scotland without being noticed

I guess it's pretty safe to assume, then, that post TDM (or possibly sooner), the Falklands would once again become the Islas Malvinas.[/QUOTE]
The v2 timeline says that Argentina invaded and took over the islands in 1997, but withdrew their forces in 1998 to reinforce the Brazil front.

I agree with Targan that the islanders probably wouldn't starve. As I wrote in the T2K wiki article
Quote:
The islanders were in a relatively good position to cope with the effects of the war. The Islands had a population of about 3,000. Sheep farming (there were over 500,000 sheep on the islands at the start of the Twilight War) and fishing were the main industries. The Islands were already largely self-sufficient, so being cut off from the rest of the world had relatively little effect on them. They did rely on outside help for some medical care, however (there is a hospital in Stanley, though no ophthalmologists or opticians).

Twilight:2000 Resources