View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I'm not a numbers guy, but I suppose one could build a canine companion PC without too much tinkering- at least in v2.2. Most of the abilities for humans could be applied to dogs (e.g. Charisma = how sociable the dog is) so one could distribute Attribute points as per human char-gen. Then, determine a reasonable number of Skill points based on the dog's age and then distribute them to skills a military working dog would probably have, like observation, tracking, swimming, climbing, stealth, and UMA (or AMA since one could consider teeth to be a weapon) and voila!

Excavation = digging
Interrogation = intimidation of subject being interrogated by a human handler
Scrounging = sniffing out foodstuffs, explosives, or contraband
Medical (Diagnosis) = I've read that some dogs have been trained to detect cancerous tumors.

A simpler solution would be for a handler's K9 companion to just lower difficulty levels for their handlers' applicable skill checks (e.g. observation, tracking, scrounging, etc.).

The more I think about this, the more I want to play a character with a canine companion.
In addition to Skills, I'd give them stats too.

A dog can detect a threat by sound at roughly 10 Times the range a human can detect it. Thus the reason the "Hushpuppy" was invented.

They can track by smell if you have something the person you want to be tracked has handled or worn.

They are good at intimidation

They can follow some fairly complex field (or OJT) training or adapt to fairly complex commands on the fly. I take the Dog's INT and add the Handler's Animal Handling Skill to achieve a target number that the Handler must roll under to get the dog to do something they weren't trained to do initially.