Thread: Cavalry in T2K
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
Your source gave about 10 million for US but i have found one with 5.2 and another with 6.3.
Both the American Horse councel and the UN seem to support this range of numbers.

This page http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/pres...ustry-6780.php seems to support that there can be signifigant variation over a 10 year period.

Quote:
In just nine years, the American horse industry has grown from $25.3 billion to $39 billion, an increase of 55%. The equine population in the United States has expanded from 6.9 million to 9.2 million horses, an increase of 33%. Meanwhile, the number of horse owners has risen from 1.9 million to 2.0 million, a modest increase of only about 5%.

8< -----------------Snipped----------------------- >8

Observing that the average number of horses per owner has risen from 3.6 to 4.6, an increase of almost 28%, Andrews said:

"Over the last decade spent working with clients I have observed increases in the number of new breeding farms and in the number of unsold horses that breeders are maintaining. In many cases supply is exceeding demand. I believe that this a primary reason for the increase in the average number of horses per owner reflected in the study."

The exact numbers don't really matter, but the comparison of country to country will give you an idea of how common horses might be in certain areas in a T2k world.