View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 02:26 AM

Default premature detonation of heat rounds

causes the jet of molten copper from the round to disperse in a patern that greatly lessens the effects of it . I would deduct a few points from total penetration value if rounds went of in objects outside the armor hull. Sort of like a spaced armor variety .

In Jugoslavia we saw vehicles modified to withstand heat rounds and rpgs with cement,tiles,car tyres,chickenwire and of course the good old tank tracks across the hull.

Being a former crew man and cavalry man my self I would be damned before I had any of my ill begotten gains put into expensive gear riddled with shrapnel on the outside of the APC .

Though - on the M135 ( M113 w 2o mm turret ) we had , all our packs were stowed in what we called the cangaroo pouch . A huge canvas pouch strapped to the front of the tin can.

Mostly issue gear back then though - I guess the shooting company would replace from their budget .But rolling out a sleeping bag with hits from mg fire and shrapnel in an ice cold tent at night after a scrap would probably dent morale pretty good.

Lack of space inside was the reason for stowing outside though .