View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 PM

As for the RAC, I have correspondence from the RAC museum which was kind enough to send me the planned deployment of it's regiments for 1992 (pre-Options). I also was able to obtain a copy of th SOHB for 1988. BAOR was supposed to consist of 12 ard. rgt.'s. 3 Type 43 w/ Challenger 1, one of these rgt.'s was actually a type 57 but had it's 4th sqd. In Berlin w/ Chieftains and the one other was one of the Household Calvary Rgt.'s, which in '89 was The Blues & Royals (the two Household Calvary Rgt.'s apparently only manned 3 sqd.'s, w/ the 4th assigned to the Mounted Rgt. In a ceremonial role). 9 Type 57, 4 w/ Challenger 1 & 5 w/ Chieftain. The Chieftains were due to be replaced with what eventually became Challenger 2 but the UK still had a large stock of Chieftains (IIRC close to 900) along with a substantial number of Centurions w/ 105mm guns (sveral of these had been & were being converted to AVRE, I'll look up the exact # when I get home. The ard. rgt. @ Hildesheim is listed as under 22 Ard. Bde., however it might have reverted to corps control to defend Hildesheim with the PRG (Para Rgt. Grp., the 3 TA Para Bn.'s. I'm still working on confirmation of this). Additionally there was an ard. rgt. @ Tidworth tasked to provide a Chieftain sqd. to UKMF, its other sqd.'s provided support to the Demo Sqd. @ Warminster & manned the Ard. Recce. Sqd in Cyprus. Some publications indicate that it was planned for the WHOLE rgt. to support UKMF in the 90's, again waiting for confirmation. Lastly there was a rgt. Listed as Ard. But supported the RAC Centre @ Bovington & manned the Training Rgt. @ Catterick. The amendment to the SOHB (I only have one page !!!) For the 90's shows an ard. Rgt. Coming over to BAOR under 19 Inf. Bde., I believe this rgt. Would have been in that role. The SOHB also calls for a four sqd. Ard. Delivery Rgt., which I believe would have been a composite unit.