Thread: Batteries?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graebarde
Things to consider, which are often not, when talking about batteries is the weather. Heat and cold are enemies of batteries. Both will kill them in very short order, as will neglect.

Yes batteries can be rebuilt/recycled. It probably can be done in a 'cottage' industry and with due care done safely, though perhaps not the EPA standards. Some one with chemistry skills and mechanical knowledge should be able to set up the operation I would think. My chemistry is not that good RL, but the theory is relatively simple.

A thing to consider when talking recharging batteries is you will NEVER get 100% recharge. Each time a battery is in discharge, it reduces the overall effectivness of the battery. Automotive suffer the worst when discharged/recharged as they loose lead from the plates, which ultimately result in the lead buliding up in the bottom and shorting the battery out over time. Recharging you will loose about 3-5% each time. So the first recharge the battery is 95-97% of the new battery. Assume the battery only looses 3% each time. The first recharge, as stated is 97%, the next one is 94%, the next is 91%, etc. When a battery is below 80% in the automotive industry it is considered discharged, and in many cases will not serve as needed in the vehicle, especially in the cold. Marine deep cycle batteries stand up to the recharge much better because they have more lead in the battery (compare the weight of the deep cycle to the standard auto battery and feel the weight difference). Deep cycle battery service should include a periodic full discharge of the battery and slow-trickle recharge (which can take up to 24 hours).

I'm not sure about dry-cells, such as your radio batteries. However the AA that I have recharged still only lasted a few (ten or less) recharges. Perhaps it was something I did wrong, or just my luck. In game however I allow recharge of the small batteries as well as for the pack radios, thinking the technology is available and perhaps the goverment would get smart, (not probable but possible) and use rechargeables. Even if they too wear out, I think in the long run they would be more economical and would help with the logistical headaches of millions of thow-a-way batteries. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Grae
I know at the auto parts store I work at, we send the batteries for recycling, I thin k there are local places here in Pittsburgh that do that along with other cities so I'm sure once somebody establishes some order, that will be a booming industry. I had to drop a new battery in my car, my old one put out 10.2 volts but when down to 6.4 under load. If a battery goes under 9.6 volts under a heavy load, we consider it dead. BTW, there are also dry cell auto batteries too, our Optima series, a lot of racers, emergency personell and RVers use them since they power a lot of electrical equipment like radios and other stuff with them, they hold up longer.

Chuck M.