View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham2 View Post
A nice NPC might be a young person who wants to become famous and has set out to be a photographer using his own skills hoping to sell the pictures to someone later.
Just to come back on that, part of the idea behind the piece was to make the characters relatively easily adaptable with a minimum amount of work. For example, take the character of the Idealist, make her slightly younger and remove the references to being published in Rolling Stone, etc and she could easily fit that bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
Journo Teams will probably include a translator if no one is near fluent in the local language - Polish in Poland.

Other potential journalists could be from neutral powers -
  • A team from the Krakow Bulletin (or radio station) wandering up to report on the Battle of Kalisz (they'd have heard rumors of the 5th Inf's plunge into Poland)
  • A team of French or Swedish journalists; their attitude can vary between sympathetic and hostile. They may or may not have a minder (public affairs officer) and may or may not be an embedded contingent. By 2000, I doubt you'd find journalists from further away.
And again, simply change the Veteran Correspondent from an Englishman working for the BBC to a Frenchman working for Agence France Presse or a Swede working for Swedish State Broadcaster, remove the references to Northern Ireland and the Falklands and you have a template that can be used for a Frenchman. Or make the Idealist French. Or a French Bitch, etc, etc

I do have a draft somewhere where the Idealist is a Southern Irishman just to illustrate how easy it was to change a few details and come up with something that is the same but different if that makes sense (the twist was that he was working for MI6).

Also, I'm not sure I agree that you may not find journalists from further afield. Sure, after 97 there likely wont be that many journalists coming from outside Europe, but there may be a significant number already there who become effectively stranded after the nuclear exchanges, so I think you could conceivably find Japanese, Australian, Kiwis, etc, etc either as on air talent or cameramen, etc.