View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmaz View Post
Nothing like starting out the day with a discussion of your favorite post apocalypse RPG with your PhD scientist spouse who happens to work with tritium (involved in all know fusion tech).

When I mentioned the fusion powered vehicles she reminded me that tritium has a half life of 12.35 years, meaning that unless there was over 12x as much tritium on board there would not be enough left to run the reactors after 150 years (tritium decays into a isotope of helium so you could fill lots radioactive party balloons). She thinks it would make more sense to have everything running on RTGs (radioactive thermal generators) with the improved tech being high efficiency batteries or electric motors. I avoided mentioning the HAMM suits at this point...

To avoid further disappointment I change the subject to the 4th Edition canon of the nuclear war being the result of conflicts over resources due to the recently discovered asteroid that is going to hit the earth. So....her graduate work involved radio astronomy and she worked at Kitt Peak Observatory where they do some of the only work trying to identify things in space that might hit the earth.

Apparently anything that is a threat would be seen much earlier than a year out and everything else is not a big threat. Stupid science!

I think tomorrow she gets decafe and I avoid describing my favorite role playing game's premise...
If they are Helium3 reactors to begin with?