View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 12:51 AM

Default absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
I can't remember who said, "Leave a soldier and an anvil alone in the desert for three days. When you come back, the anvil will be broken." We used to add, "And Joe won't know how it happened."

Soldiers are the worst enemies of their own gear. Neglect and abuse will be awfully hard on everything soldiers use. The Western powers will be affected more seriously than the Pact, but everyone is going to be affected by creeping decay.

Webstral
I agree whole heartedly .
Soldiers on all levels mismanage or slack on maintenance and gear gets worn out faster . Here is a thought - how many rounds is a certain gun barrel projected to take before its worn out / scatters like a shotgun ? Both arty and small arms have this problem - a problem compounded by poor maintenance and lack of parts and or lubricants.

I remember the instructors at our Academy saying that our (A)G3 rifles were good for app 7500 rounds before initial accuracy was reduced.After app double /triple that the gun would be deemed ready for the melting ovens.

Now bear in mind that firing on the practice range is included- a rifle will not be able to take more than a few years before worn out .