View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
I definitely rate Threads as grimmer and bleaker than They Day After. It was a truly depressing and frightening piece of TV.
I knew "The day after" because it was showed in Spain in the late 80's ( "El dia después") . And I must agree with Tigger and HQ, I find "Threads" to be more realistic and although I liked "The day after". I remeber specially one great image from the American TV-serie where the people from Kansas saw the missiles emerging from their silos. This single, powerful image, with the missiles flying to their distant targets against a clear blue sky in an otherwise normal day, contains enough implication to keep you stuck in your seat, hypnotized by the countdown that will inevitably erase the world as you know it.

When I was 14 years old, one of the proposed books to read in the Catalan Language subject was "GermÃÂ* de la Terra", "Brother in the land", by Robert Swindells (thanks to Saint Google, again). I think It was my first contact with the post-apocalyptic genre. Although the book is classified as "Young adult literature", I have read it again two or three times since then. A great book. "Threads" reminds me very much about "Brother in the land". Perhaps because in both cases the scenery of the story is situated in Great Britain, they share some interesting points in common. Basically, in both cases the story last for years after the fall of the nukes, entering in the terrain of the non-immediate, but even more horrible consequences of a nuclear exchange. In both cases the story remains somehow unfinished, but they left you with the feeling that the rest is too much sad to continue.

Well, I've take note about "Survivors". I will try to get it by "those magical methods" this night. Thanks for the suggestion.