View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muti View Post
Chico, I'm sorry to abuse of your patience again.

I'm looking for TOEs information also on Independent Regiment for Protection and Guarantee, Mixed Air Squadron, Rear Area Protection Division and Helicopter Transport Regiment. I found all those units in your OOBs. If it is possibile I'm also searching the approximately number of men and vehicles.

I trust in your knowledge!
No problem!

I think the Independent Regiment for Protection and Guarantee was a glasnost/perestroika-friendly term for the commander's personal independent regiment. Suvorov (widely discredited, I realize, but useful for creating a big, bad 10-ft tall Russian!) described such units as tank regiments, but by the late 1980s they'd been reformed into mixed tank-motor rifle units. I basically cast them as high quality (both in terms of equipment and personnel) independent motor-rifle regiments, sometimes with 2 tank and 2 M-R battalions (plus arty, engineers, etc)., depending on what info I could find on the real unit.

A mixed air squadron was usually a commander's liaison aviation unit, containing airborne command post, light transport and elint aircraft.

I haven't found anything on the TOE of a rear-area protection division, just some grumbling along the lines of "they really don't deserve to be called a division of the Soviet Army" in Russian. I cast them basically as 1950s style rifle divisions, with a single battalion of obsolete tanks (T-34, T-54 and the like), some obsolete artillery and lots of mobilization-only reserve infantrymen. Their role was to protect supply lines and hunt down partisans. Only when the situation becomes truly desperate do they get committed to action against NATO.

A helicopter transport regiment had 29-46 Mi-8/17 and 26-30 Mi-6/26 assigned in the late 90s. That's enough lift to move a big chunk of an air assault brigade (75 Mi-8/17, 35 Mi-6/26 without BMDs).

Oh, I also found the official TOE of a Scud/SS-23 brigade (in Russian):
http://9k72.ru/page.php?41 - I'd post a translation but you might have better luck translating directly into Italian from Russian than putting it in English first.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...