View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 AM

Default gamewise

If you run phase by phase type combat it is a good tip to let the PC have a post where he can make decisions and take actions .
In a crew the commander usually tells the driver and gunner pretty much everything they can do -or at least issue orders that controls the limits of their actions .

playing the driver can be boring if the vehicle just trudges along and you get to roll an easy check every 6 phases or so .

Having one do the gunnery and one drive is a fun set up - the cmdr could be an npc that issue general sounding orders so that the driver/gunner can get a lot of actions in .Remember to sprinkle obstacles for the driver often or he will get bored.

Playing a commander can be made fun to- I used to let PCs commanding crew vehicles get a crew who spoke only Khazak or some such ,giving them a list of syllables and grunts to be spoken in character to mean advance! stop! target 12 o clock ! etc etc .Cmdr duty can be boring to play in some cases - the driver and gunner do most of the rolling - but I guess you could double commander /gunner duty. map and route planning can be added to get some game into it.

One good session we had a large map with combined ops going on .The players and their kahazak driver and loader in their souped up T-55 were busy engaging and advancing -blowing up apcs and trucks and mowing down infantry left and right when they suddenly encounter a mixed platoon of enemy T-72s and a T-90 .The ensuing fight was great fun .Since one hit can mean that everyone dies in an instant it became a nerve racking and hectic running fight with cat and mouse tactics over miles and miles .( Have a lot of map material ready - a big vehicle fight can take place in ranges from 10-3000 meters plus manouvering room .)
Pitfalls like bogging down,throwing a track on an obstacle ,minefields ,battledamage like fires and sputtering radios all make for additional fun .

just my humble opinion of course