View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muti View Post
Finally I had the time to read all the OOBs but now I have several doubts mainly because my english is not good as yours!

1) First of all, what do you mean for "Direct reporting"? Maybe something like: "Independent units"?

2) What do you mean for "Spare"? For example: "Spare Artillery Brigade" or "Spare Motor-Rifle Division"?

3) What is the TOE for a Missile Brigade? And for a KGB Motor-Rifle Regiment, a Border Guard Battalion and a Special Border Control Battalion?

Thank you in advance for your patience!
1) Direct reporting units report to the Front/Army headquarters without any headquarters in between - for example, an independent battalion that reports to an army headquarters rather than a regiment or division.

2) Spare units were mobilization-only units that had at most a small cadre although often fairly complete equipment sets. (For example, when the Soviet forces in Mongolia upgraded from T-62s to T-72s, they sent the complete set of tanks to spare units in Siberia.)

3) The missile brigades varied depending on the number of systems they had. In general, batteries had 2 or 3 TELs, grouped into battalions with 2-4 missile batteries, a meterological detachment, engineers, maintenance and guard units. 1-3 battalions per brigade.

Border Battalion: 4 infantry companies, mortar battery (mix of 82mm Vasilyek and 120mm), AT platoon with SPG-9 recoilless rifles. Foot, horse, ski or truck mobile.

Reaction (Mechanized) Battalion: 1 BMP-2 infantry company (10 BMPs), 4 BTR infantry companies (40 BTRs total), tank company (10 T-80s), mortar battery (as in border battalion), AT platoon with SPG-9s. Trucks for units not in APCs/IFVs.

Air Assault Battalion: as border battalion.

Border Guard Brigade: 3 border battalions, 1 reaction battalion, engineer company, artillery battery (6 76mm light guns), rocket battery (9 BM-21s). May be wilderness or mountain capable, depending on area of peacetime employment.

KGB Motor-Rifle Regiment: 4 reaction battalions, 1 air assault battalion, engineer battalion, artillery battalion (12 76mm light guns), rocket battery (12 BM-21s).

Border Aviation Regiment: 18 attack helicopters.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...