Thread: Game Breaker
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 AM

In my experience its normally been other players or the ref who has turned players off, rather than the plot.

In this specific case Rae, i think the players put allot of effort fitting out the river tug. They have likley been through many battles with her since sailing. So there is likely a larger emotional attachment to the tug than if it was simply "issued" to them. Makes it harder to give it up.

I guess the nature of the module/game is that at some point the river needs to be deviated from, and hence the tug abandoned or left in the captains care.

In my view, if players are attached to the tug then the game itself has generated allot of emotion and investment. So thats a huge positive (congratulations to the ref and players).

So if they are reluctant to leave the tug then maybe the players need to reasses their missions/goal. If they dont want to leave the tug, then maybe they cant "go home". Instead maybe they need to choose to do other activities that enables them to use the tug.

Run guns, medical supplies, explore other villages are possibilities. Or choose a village and decide to rebuild it. Whatever, you know the options they have. In this way they are working towards something else while still having the tug available.

Retorhical question for you Rae, can the players choose to do their own thing, or are you railroading them to abandon the tug? No problems either way, both the ref and players need to be happy with the games direction. Maybe talk it out quickly OOC and see if they are totaly against leaving it or just dissappointed to be leaving her. After all, thats what you'd do if you were all sitting around the table top ...