View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

The standard shotguns in the United States inventory were primarily the following:

Remington 870
Mossberg 590
Mossberg 500

Winchester Model 13 <I think, and those were fairly rare>

One could also encounter the following from OLDER STOCKS:

Ithaica Model 37 and maybe model 87s These were from Vietnam Stocks

Winchester Model 1897 <from WWII and earlier stocks>

When we did a fam fire of shotguns for guard mounts we would have usualy a mix of Remingtons, Mossbergs and Winchesters all plain Jane models with no extended tubes, no slings, no side saddle shell holders, some woult have a ramp sight, others would have a regular bead sight.

But those were the big three of the day.

And basicaly at that time, there would be a couple per company, you would find them for specific guard type assignments, in the armory, in special areas with sensistive mateiral and restricted access, our Paymaster Gunner who handled pay had a couple when they delivered us cash prior to the assault in split pay.

You would probabably find no more than four per company with more in the BN HQ and Regimental HQ but still not many, a guess as I never got a count when I was in the armory.

Company lets say about four, I know we had two or three for sure.

Bn, 2 for the armory guards, 2 for the Paymaster/Admin Cheif, S-2 1, those are ones I can confirm, I would guess another two for other guard posts and such.

Regiment, the same, about six again for specific guard details.

I at one time did know the info but its been over a dozen years. But generaly six shotguns per HQ unit and two or three or even four per company.

As for personal weapons, they were not allowed, BUT!!!! When in the Gulf prior to deployment we had asked and at the last minute the word was given that we could get our own pistols and shotguns if they were 9mm or .45 and 12 guage. And a officer in the reports did exactly it was commical, it said he had a pistol in every pocket! The downside for our Bn was we were in Okinawa when the word was given that we could have our own 12 gauges and 9mms and .45s I remember I was cleaning the windows durring field day when the Platoon Sgt said it was okayed, BUT, we had to arrainge for getting them there from home. GOOD LUCK with that! So I am guessing the powers that be knew that hurdle and it was next to impossible so they said "sure go for it"

Another thing,

I would imagine that once the war got hot and heavy, units would purchase their own stuff out of the company fund or pass the hat and order them purchasing them on open market, as well as old Salts brining their own stuff as the need for men increased and the demand for weapons commanders would be less anal about the rules. Especialy with the increase in Urban combat where they would be usefull, and also, granted I am no tanker type but I would imagine a good shotgun would be a good tool to remove unwanted guests from the top of your tank or APC without damaging to much external equipment as would a rifle round or SMG would do.