View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
So how would you adapt a v1 timeline to the current world situation? I get that v4 is playing in 2000 so you can drop in the campaign stuff from v1/v2 with v4 rules, but it seems like they missed an opportunity for it to be Twilight:2025 by introducing two or three potential timelines... That is - a classic 2000, maybe a 2010 one where 9/11 ultimately led to WW3, and a 2025 or 2030 one where maybe China is a problem leading to WW3...

All that having been said, taking the Fallout/Wasteland approach to timeline and backstory might have been better...
I actually wish the V4 had just used either the V1 or V2.2 timeline and just went with updated rules, weapons, etc.. - would have been the best of both worlds

The V1 timeline really doesnt work with today's world situation - for one China has changed tremendously - when the timeline was written in the 1980's China was literally a joke military compared to today's China - remember the only mention they had in Red Dawn was a throw away line how 600 million screaming Chinamen were our only allies except the British - i.e basically totally disdaining their military capabilities

Remember the timeline basically is that the Soviets are shocked that the Chinese actually can stand up to them - that they and everyone else expected them to not be able to do much against the Soviets except die in large numbers

Now any Soviet/Russian invasion of China would be vastly different - in fact I dont see any such invasion even being possible given the Chinese Army as it stands today - not unless Russia somehow hit them with an all out nuke strike first and took out their missiles on the ground

Also NATO is not the NATO of the 1980's - the German Army is a pale shadow of its Cold War self, the Dutch are just as bad and the UK came within an inch of getting rid of its tanks - and the Poles and Czechs would 100% fight the Russians until hell froze over and then fight on the ice - i.e. they wouldnt join in any way against NATO like the V1 timeline or the V2.2

that is one place where the V4 is right in how it handles the Poles - I dont see the V1 or V2.2 timelines really appreciating just how much the Poles and Czechs hated the Soviets