View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
When were those wind turbines installed?
After November 1997 would be my guess, therefore they're not there in any of the T2K timelines.
The locks are likely to be the big failure points of the Great Lakes. If maintained there shouldn't be too much of a problem besides those posed by pirates/marauders and the like. If not....
Wind turbines dont really factor into the power generation at Niagara Falls - the power generation is from the falls themselves - i.e. its the water going over the falls generating a huge amount of power - FYI most of the equipment that runs and generates power was installed a very long time ago - meaning EMP will basically not effect the ability to generate power there - its one of the big screw ups in the game - i.e. unless you nuke those power generating plants then there will be power to burn for Western NY for sure - and you dont need a drop of fuel or a single pound of coal to do so

Info on the power plant on the US Side - The Robert Moses Niagara Hydroelectric Power Station is a hydroelectric power station in Lewiston, New York, near Niagara Falls. Owned and operated by the New York Power Authority (NYPA), the plant diverts water from the Niagara River above Niagara Falls and returns the water into the lower portion of the river near Lake Ontario. It uses 13 generators at an installed capacity of 2,675 MW (3,587,000 hp). Plant was commissioned in 1961

Then on the Canadian side you have two plants that have been there since the 1950's that can produce another 2000 MW as well - and dont need modern control systems to work - one of them has been continuously generating power since 1922

Thus the Great Lakes at Niagara would be a very interesting area indeed by 2001 considering the lack of power generation capability in much of the US and Canada - and the closest strikes were at Toronto and Hamilton - nothing hit Niagara Falls at all

Last edited by Olefin; 09-12-2018 at 12:44 PM.