View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
I wounder how much of this was hype, and how much was lack of maintenance? I have spent several years in the sand box, and used several different versions of both the M16/M4 and the SAW, never once had any issues with sand. I do not know if I was just "lucky" or if the ones who were unlucky got worn out ones, or did not pull maintenance. I do know for my first deployment we got brand new from the factory M16A4's and some of our guys had issues, but they were the guys who did not clean there rifles ever (and only them), and after more than a year in country they started to have issues "with the piece of junk" rifle we were issued.
I liked the M249 and have never had any major problem with the five I have fired (three at civilian NFA ranges). The one thing I noticed is that the Rate of Fire of 800 rounds increases to around 1000 when you configure the weapon to shoot from 30 round Stanag magazines. I'm told that this is because the belt feed system is disabled and not needing to pull the belt through the action speeds up the bolt (thus increasing ROF). I noticed that the M249 REALLY chews up the feed lips of the GI mags you put in it. I have to wonder how long it would take for repeated use to render those mags unreliable?