Thread: Personal Gear
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbent4 View Post
I do think while it's understandable that the Project doesn't want anyone to use captured weapons or ammunition, it would be a logistical nightmare to adopt an oddball cartridge for this end that can't be shared with others nor can teams use common calibres.

Why not equip your teams with nunchaku and "sharks with laser beams attached to their frickin' their heads"? You can make a logical case for almost ahything!
And I feel if the logic is strong enough, there is no reason to hold on to canon. I have considered going with 10mm for pistols/smgs and 6.8mm for rifles. From my perspective the project is starting with a clean slate unencumbered by any prior logistical restrictions, so they can go any direction they want. Given the Project's manufacturing capabilities could produce massive numbers of these rounds.

My thought on an additional advantage of non-standard round sizes is that a loss of a cache does not greatly assist a warlord. My assumption is that 5 years out 75-90% of pre-ooops rounds might have been expended. A majority of those rounds were directed by Americans at fellow Americans. Yes a number number were probably used for hunting but I am sure a pretty large number people died from firearms.

So the project wakes and there is a huge influx of new ammo out there. My thought is that the project whose primary goal is rebuilding might not want to upset the delicate balance which might have established itself after 5 years, with massive firefights diminishing into the occasional potshots over that time. An "oddball" caliber might keep a little more control of what is done with the ammo held by the project.

That is not to say that trading a few common rounds with hunters might not make sense as well. However I had not come up with a replacement for 7.62mm yet so the whole concept might be moot.

Last edited by kato13; 11-30-2010 at 12:51 PM.