Thread: Fiddle's Green
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
I think I'm missing something here. Is the Army planning to replace all Bradleys with Strykers? Or most, or just some?

FWIW, I'm in agreement with the majority-- wheeled APCs are great assets for peacekeepers and light cavalry.
The Stryker Brigades are based on the Armored Cavalry Regiment. A force rounded out with Mech infantry, and supporting Artillery, Armor, Air Cav, and support units.

It is meant for the Rapid Deployment Role. As in get some assets there on the ground (Airhead) while Heavy Units go by sea (Beach head). All the originators have retired, and mission creep has set in.

The Brigades are meant to be modular, plug n play. So since it is a prebuilt package. You could put three Stryker Brigades together and call it a Stryker Division. Send one ahead of the Heavies but as part of a Heavy force structure.

The though is and I will quote from the Cavalry here " Gets there firstest, with deh mostest". That a well rounded force with good weapons, good speed, outstanding coordination is better than a Light Infantry armed with ATGMs waiting for M1s that will be transported by ship arriving in 30 days.

Saddam could have killed the 82nd and the 101st if he had invaded Saudi Arabia as soon as they arrived. History would be remarkably different if Saddam were an able Commander.