View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM

Marc, unlike you, I could eat snails by the ton. However, I agree that the final result depends of the recipe. One main difference nowadays, in France, is that we have to buy them. Catching them is now forbidden (some people still do but less than before). The last time I came out to get some was a little over 25 years. The downside of having to buy them is that they are mostly frozen snails which is a process that makes them watery and gives them a rubber-like texture. As a result, finding good snails is increasingly difficult.

An other possible use of snails (especially as kid) is snail race.

Then another type of food in my area is wild mushrooms. That would be fun to imagine that in a T2K scenario as people are actively defending their mushroom secret spots. That level of secrecy goes so high that in my wife's school, four years old kids refused to reveal the location. Actually, my wife's parents had brought my 4 years old daughter to get mushrooms last fall and she refuses to reveal their secret location. Actually, a local novelist has writen a book were people are getting killed over that issue.