View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

March 12, 1998

An Italian air strike heavily damages the last fully operational oil refinery in North Africa at Bizerte in Tunisia, with Italian attack aircraft pressing the attack home in the face of SAM’s and Tunisian and US jet fighters. As a result of the attack, the US must greatly curtail its naval and air operations in the Mediterranean.

Unofficially,

At Goose Bay, Labrador, the Quebecois commander once again offers a parlay. He offers a continued ceasefire, repatriation of non-Canadians to their homelands and evacuation of Canadians to Nova Scotia in exchange for evacuation of the base. With supplies running low, the NATO commander and his Canadian counterpart accept the offer.

The 147th (my 261st) Motor-Rifle Division's retreat from Fairbanks, Alaska is celebrated by the 25th Corps headquarters in distant Anchorage, which dispatches a force equipped with captured civilian vehicles to speed their return to Anchorage.

With the coming of warmer weather, ice on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway system has broken up enough for ships to transit. A number of smaller freighters, which have been frozen in for the winter, begin to resume their voyages.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...