Thread: RPG v FPS v ASL
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk View Post
ASL
Advanced squad leader. This might be my favourite. No arguing over if the distance is 38ms or 42ms and if its medium or long range? A harder rule set so less interpretation and argument from players. Playing on VASSAL means you can play against a real player live or by post. And you can still get your books out and figure out range, caliber, modifictions, die roll, and understand what your chances were to hit or kill and how close you came. I like this last point, sometimes in FPS it feels like you've been cheated (how did he see me? How did he him me first time? in the head?). I like in ASL you can know if the odds were in your favour or not, whereas in FPS it happens so quick and its hard to know if you gacked a die roll or he played well.

I think ASL is the best balance between a story (what was the chance of hitting or killing, what was the die roll - that tells a story) and game mechanics.

My preference is
1. ASL
2. FPS
3. RPG

And that order surprises me.
Big ASL player myself and with VASL you no longer have to play FTF but online in real time vs opponents from around the world. Now are you old school ASL, new school or ASL Starter kit fanatic. All have very active and helpful facebook pages.