View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 03:39 AM

Default Life is cheap in T2k - loveable pimps & hookers

Damian fits perfectly into the non-mililtary-but-still-harsh-civil-part of the world, which should be ever present in Twilight.
When i am preparing for scenarios where the players are involved with less open combat and more "civil affairs", i like to watch some "Deadwood" for get the right feel to it.
("The Walking Dead"-Comics, or S.Kingsīs "The Stand"-Book are other, random, inspirational sources, to name a few).

In that HBO-series most characters and circumstances/work-conditions seemed to be morally grey.
There are more generally accepted bad things (at least from our current, civilized point of view): prostitution is more common, child- and many forms of slave-labour, animal- and pitfights (ususally not to the death - but still brutish) making up for the lack of TV and other entertainment (gambling for the starving masses!), etc.

The grey line - to differ from a B-movie-plot and make it more convincing - should be, that there ARE at least some rules. And when someone breaks them, there are definitve consequences (depending on local cultures and law) you can count on. And the GM should be considering those very carefully BEFORE presenting an obvious moral dilemma like "freeing poor people from their lousy bosses".

F.e. in the Krakow-Module its pretty obvious that the robotniki-workers with their yearlong "contract" are nothing else than cheap slaves, which try to get papers to be accepted as citizens afterwards.
BUT as a workforce, at least their lives should be better, than that of a destitute refugee outside of the city-walls (the robotniki get at least some food and the Ormo-guards make sure that they dont break their contract by running away AND protecting them).

In Deadwood Al Swearengens Hookers are made up of all kinds of women - most seem to be beaten individuals with a rising drugproblem, a few are making a living with some dignity and even gain some influence for knowing prestigious customers...
Besides that - Swearengen is not only a brutish pimp. He has certain traits which makes him (at least sometimes) a likeable person, too.
With Damians description, we get a chance of creating another, "believable" character - which the players should not shoot that easy, too.
The little, neat details of his floating brothel are pointing out, that there is more, than just another bad guy to shoot. There a living people on that boat, which carved out their own niche of survival on the Vistula-River.

In my gameworld, the players should be considering real careful to mix with local affairs - like "freeing" Damians hookers.
Some would be glad, but the players than would have to take care of the girls somehow (f.e. imagine a 14 year old girl, being freed by them - now they have a new dependent! THATS a liability for at least some time!). Others would actually be loyal toward their pimp - maybe to the suprise of some characters.
When i will use Damians brothel in the future, i will detail the girls a bit, to make sure to know whos going in which direction...
Look at the relation of Deadwoods "Trixie" and "Al".
Maybe he beats her up on a regular basis.. but that is predictable to her and sheīs used to that by now. If someone would shoot Swearengen - their would be no one to protect her anymore from the streetscum, if she isnt offered a totally different income...
And as one of "Al s Veteran-girls", she actually has achieved some power within the brothel, as long as its about her business. The first episode starts with her shooting a violent customer, gets beaten up brutally by Al (even threatend with a quick death), BUT he doesnt kill her - it would cost him even more... (and he "kind of likes her" in his own way).
Or think of "Bama" from "True Romance". Juicy bits of "Hooker"-related-NPC-Diversion.

I use the T2k-Motivations and some character-traits/alignments from the "Heroes Now"-Book. We roll regularly for these traits to modify the players decisions. The players have their freedom to act, but depending on their rolls of "local" or "general" knowledge, i give them insights their PCīs would have, BEFORE acting to fast.

When my players would kill Damian and than leave girls in need, they should be aware, that their attitudes could shift into negative directions for good.
They would earn darkside traits (not in a high percentage to begin with, but if they keep behaving irresponsible, or even brutal - they could earn some nasty shit, they canīt control anymore in later situations).

The true "Heroes" (in my opinion) are those PCīs, which would still free the poor girls AND take care of them afterwards. The ones which consider the disadvantages of a certain path before drawing their guns, but still do it...
Right now i have at least one "Bullock"-like PC in the group, which always asks for trouble in the name of moral standarts.
The GM-fun for me is, to work with changes of the game-focus between the main-plot AND a lot of these optional (selfmade by the players if they care enough) "side-missions".

The twists and turns encounters like that offer are my juice!
Hmmmm- yummy GM-Food!

Last edited by Tombot; 07-29-2011 at 06:02 AM.