Thread: Police Forces
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
As mentioned earlier (by several people) what happens in T2K depends heavily on local conditions. In some areas the perception may be that police are not needed (I'm thinking this is more likely in rural areas), while others, an increase in police numbers may be warranted (but perhaps not actually achieved due to manpower and skills shortages).

It's very difficult to state categorically that police would be stripped of manpower nationally, even on a state or regional level. Every town, county, municipality, shire, etc would need to be assessed on a case by case basis with not just the usual police duties and responsibilities assessed, but the risk of saboteurs and so forth also included.
I kind of agree, I do not think that it would be done on purpose, but early stages when the called up units I do not think that they would make exceptions for police, as that would likely make major leadership holes in the military unit (not all but most I would think). After this I think most departments would be able to deal by mandatory overtime, longer shifts and the like. Then when they started recalling the IRR (US term, Individual Ready Reserve, people who have gotten out recently and are still within eight years of joining) I again do not see they exempting the police. Now having said this I think that this mostly applies to the US, and there is also a system for the Guard/Reserves that an employee can be designated by their employer as critical to the job, I do not know all the requirements for it (I do not know if private employers can do this or only government for example). During my time in the Guard and as a Officer I deployed two time and my department was not happy, however when told about the way that they could designate us as critical they were unwilling to do so, off the top of my head I do not know of any that have ever even tried to use it. I do know of some that if you join that agence you can not be a member of the Guard or Reserves, and if you are they will discharge you.