View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
I have been working on what happened in South Africa as well. I want to get rid of Apartheid, but I wanted to do it in a way that wouldn't have caused the chaos that the real world has seen. I have thoughts on this, but not sure how best to go about it... My original concept was that the homelands policy would have continued with alot of changes, and the creation of a tricamoral legislative body (basicly the creation of a 'tribal council' where each of the different ethnic groups would be given representative seats, and would be instrumental in the elections of national leaders, similar to the US Electorial College). Frederik Willem de Klerk & Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela where the leaders of South Africa for the 1990s and together brought the country through the end of apartheid. I had thought of the creation of several different states that would be alligned together in a defensive pact. I've also went with the following political offices in South Africa: President of South Africa (head of state), Prime Minister (head of government), and at least three Deputy Prime Ministers (there might be more, having them being the elected leaders of each of the south african states).

Any help on coming up with the post-apartheid South Africa I'd really love it.
I think the way that apartheid was abolished in the real world is probably the best model to use. Sure, the country's crime rate is pretty atrocious, and they have a number of other problems, but they managed to avoid descending into out and out civil war, which I think might have been a very real possibility under different circumstances (personally I think Mandela himself was probably the biggest single factor in the peaceful transition from white to majority rule - without him, things might have been very different).

I also think proposed tribal homelands would probably be more likely to split the country up than unite it.

Just my tuppence worth...

Cheers