View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

From what I remember reading about MRE in emergency situation one MRE would provide the nutrition one would need for an entire day in emergency situation.

Yeah Paul you are quite correct. I only remember once when we got anything consider close to being cooked in field kitchen while out in the field. The rest of the time it was MREs or whatever that soldier could get away with packing for the field. Yeah when you are on diet of almost exclusively MRE you do tend to drink a lot more water too.

One thing that many people seem to forget is the stock of equipment and other items that US and UK had pre-position in Western Europe. Not talking about larger bases, but there were number smaller caches where uniforms, rations, and ammo were placed.

I do see in early 1997 the German Army at various command levels would want to improve the quality of the diet of their troops. So they would start improving their field kitchens. By the time US, UK, and Canadian join in they many of the commanders having seen what the German have been through would have their field kitchens improvising to make what rations they had left last long, since I am sure they have all turned over to the Germans a share of what they had in Rations, Ammo, Fuel, and other sundry items that needed for a modern Army.

After TDM MRE type rations use would be limited more, with things like hardtack and those type of rations would become more common again. Units would forage from the start too of the war. Soldier who are MREs or other rations would enjoy anything they could liberate to enrich their diet.

Part of the reason units in 1998 would start setting up Catoments on each side would be to grow food, make fuel and to be more self sufficient in other details in regards of their supply chain. MREs wouldn't be readily in the supply trains, but would be moved to units that may be going on offensive actions.

The lack of higher commands providing resupply is why units started to raid enemy units and then allied units. I could see Pact units raiding allies units more quickly than NATO units, just my opinion.

Abbott