Thread: GURPS Questions
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielmeister
You can try securing a copy of Gurps Lite for 3rd ed and using that with Gurps WW2 lite. These are quite enough to get you up and running for a few intro games so you can decide whether or not you are ok with gurps for the long run.
I should probably explain why I suggested Lite and WW2 Lite. Normal Lite is more "complete" with a full page of medieval type weapons and several firearms -- WWII Lite has much fewer melee weapons and no firearms (these are covered extensively elsewhere in the WWII book). Lite also has basic rules for magic and 14 common spells (Lite for 4e has no rules for magic or spells). All the versions of Lite use the Basic Combat System for melee combat -- WWII Lite, however, uses the Advanced Combat Rules for missile weapons, which I consider much more realistic without adding undue complexity. WWII Lite also includes rules for indirect fire and explosives. Also, the skill list for WWII Lite is more "modern" than regular Lite.

I'll also add that G:WWII has templates for quickly building several types of military characters (rifleman, armor crew, artillerist, sniper, commando, etc) which are for the most part suitable for use in a T2K setting (the main difference being more skill in electronic gadgets).

EDIT: Since you mentioned possible sueprnatural elements, I'll also add that over the last few years I've come to greatly perfer ritual magic (introduced in Voodoo and greatly expanded and genericized in Spirits) over the default spell magic.

Oh, and GURPS Dinosaurs rocks

http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 11-03-2008 at 11:33 AM.