View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 02:33 AM
Registered Kraut

Hi there!

I've been doing some research-work on the internet and in various publications I have here at home. Again, the things I'm going to point out, refer to ver.2 and 2.2.

In real life the German forces had several weapons on trials in the 80ies and early 90ies. Somewere in the internet I found, that the G11 was intended as the firearm for combat units, support units - including artillery an such - should be equipped with the G41, a modification of the older G33. The newer G41 had a new magazin well to use the M16 mags.
The G36 was a newer development, I do not use it in t2k.

There have been other firearms that have since been issued on a small degree, espacially the G8/MG8 (= HK21). There is a photo of a member of the KSK (Kommando Spezial Kräfte = roughly Command of specialized forces), where a HK21 can be seen. This firearm can be outfitted with a spare feed block (?). It is possible to use G3 mags or belted ammo. As these have been fielded in realiy, I let them appear on very few occasions.

Bundesgrenzschutz (West German "Border Guards"), Zoll (Customs) and the various police agencies had used (and received training with) several other firearms, part of them have certainly been in some kind of stores. Among these were the G1 (= FN FAL) and various sniper rifles (HK and Steyr). Pistols included SigSauer, Walther, HK and some more.

It may be of some interest, that in the DDR a heavily modified version of the AK family came to life: the WIEGER family. In reality only about 1000 rifles were made for the Indian army. The action was copied from the AK, but it was for the NATO 5.56 ammo.

All of these weapons can be encountered in t2k, some not in vast numbers, but on occasions.

One last word on knifes an bayonets: Although the Bundeswehr never trained with bayonets, there are models existing for G3 and G41. I use them in the game, although this is not totally conform with reality. In the late 80ies, a knew Field or combat knife was planned. The German firm Eickhorn builds it (The ACK = Advanced Combat Knife, and, yes, that's the German name for it!) up to today. In reality it was not fielded, because of the collaps of the Eastern bloc. Some had been bought privatly and were used by German soldiers. As far as I'm informed, a version for the international market existed, being sold in the US by Colt. It was named "Colt Tactical Combat Knife". Like the AK- and M9-bayonets, knife and scabbard can be put to gether, to cut wires. The German model has a black blade and green plastic scabbard and handle, the Colt model comes in blach completely. The hole thing is isolated, to cut electrical wires.
I use this knife in my games as part of the personal equipment of most German soldiers.

Hope, this gives some new ideas!

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012