View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Also remember that most ships run on the absolute lowest grade of oil - we arent talking rocket fuel here (or jet fuel which is what the Army is running their tanks on) - you can fuel a ship with stuff that would make most cars and tanks and other vehicles grind to a halt
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but even the turbines used in most USN ships can use a variety of fuels. While F-76 is preferred they can burn just about anything lighter than bunker oil (and probably bunker oil with treatment) in an emergency. A ship stuck in the western Pacific or Indian oceans could likely get themselves enough fuel to get to Persian Gulf and either join up with Task Force 76 or fuel up to get back to the US.

USN and NATO ships would be able to remain in contact via radio even after TDM. So CENTCOM (and by extension MilGov) is going to have a pretty good accounting of allied naval assets in the eastern hemisphere.

In general NATO navies not being totally wiped out isn't likely to affect a lot of adventures. They're something to consider if you're playing the Great Game to build a new 2300ad background but most T2K games are probably land locked.