Thread: Why no China?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
I've been trying to think of reasons why Israel would not sell T-55s, etc to China and honestly I can't really think of too many besides them perhaps wanting to keep them for their own forces. That said, I understand they've got quite a few anyway and have been gradually replacing them with better machines, refurbishing and flogging the old stuff off to Africa or whoever stumps up the cash.
Pretty sure there's no mention anywhere in the books of them supplying anyone throughout the war(s), but also hasn't been ruled out.
Israel had links with China at this time despite the Arab and Soviet Bloc boycott of Israel. Israel sold technology to upgrade Chinese tanks and planes in the 1980s, and after Tiananmen Square led to Western military sanctions against China the Israelis became China’s back door to western technology. Israel was ready to sell the Phalcon AWAC to China before the US forced Israel to cancel the deal. Israel also sold UAV technology to the Chinese and the Chengdu J-10 is also believed to have used technical information from the Israeli Lavi fighter project.