View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 03:05 AM

Default FLAGS AND SYMBOLS 2nd AMERICAN CIVIL WAR

In my campaign the MilGov /CivGov part is home grown .

Both use the American flag ,sometimes there are variations such as fewer stars ,stars in a circle or some such as tides ebb and flow in the various captitals and directives come and go .

I think I had distinctions along the lines of some use of different uniforms ( woodland/desert /od but this was a mix also with no clear guidelines to go by .

Both organizations claim to be the Federal goverment ,both operate a sham 2 house system ,both have many symbols taken from the US of A .

But in fact they are of course complex organizations with a wide variety in membership .Some are ruthless powerhungry types,other the willing executioners of said powerhungry types ,some just go along with it because of the semblance of normality they provide ,some are idealists really trying to piece it together ,some have no choice .But most people dont care wether or not its one or the other as they dont differ much as far as the man in the debris strewn street is concerned .

I have them down as sometimes warring ,sometimes in talks and as franchises that extend invites to any organized area to join and submit to their charter in return for their support .The leaderships may be at odds with eachother but sometimes the two sides have gotten a hold on an area by random events -and two neighbouring towns are not likely to start a fight over who sits at what desk 1000 miles away -they are fighting over stuff like water supply and farmland -if they are fighting at all .

Sheer distance and lack of comms and the ensuing misunderstandings would probably be the main reason for "secession" or independence for some areas .But for the elites /on the top having someone backing your legitimacy might be a major concern causing some violence to take place .

The split is useful though , as it allows for the players to exploit the chaos and carve out areas under their own control .

We have played a "warlord " type campaign and there have been diplomacy ,alliances,treason,warcrimes indictments,civil wars etc etc as well as the squad type action .But there has never been just the 2 sides competeing .Loads of other local organizations have butted in .As in my view ,the end of the world as we know it would have a lot of people acting on their own .Many would claim legitimacy by calling on dead or at least knocked out institutions like the former goverments etc .