View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 09:59 PM

Okay, so we are in Ancestor's wheelhouse.

First, I am familiar with the State Guards in TX and NY. They seem to be pretty squared away, kind of like a Civil Air Patrol on steroids. Many retired plus a minority who want to "serve" but are not able/do not want to raise their hands (not a disparaging comment - they just want to do their duty as Americans without leaving home, which I fully support). For the latter, I remember a guy who was a comedian in New York who joined the NG state guard after 9/11 writing an article about in National Review.

Second, as of 2008 Louisiana had a "state militia". When our state sent an augmentation team down there for Hurricane Gustav OPS my warrant's new BFF was the LA State Militia Historian. (My warrant, let's call him "Indiana Jones", was Vietnam era and this was his last hurrah-my first crack when he introduced the historian to me was "I'm glad Indy found someone who is interested in his recollection of the Battle of New Orleans"). At any rate, Indy, being the awesome guy that he is, traded his "US ARMY" velcro patch for the "LOUISIANA" patch the militiaman was wearing on his ACUs (yes, they wore ACUs). The real problem was the next morning, when Indy showed up to help me get ready to brief the two star but was still wearing his "LOUISIANA" patch. I let hilarity ensure among the staff before I corrected him. He and I have traded enough shots/beers/insults that it was all in good fun.

What does this mean to T2K? My state has a robust WWII era statutory foundation on the books for a state militia. It's about 1/2 actual "let's keep the peace on the home front" and 1/2 "if this whole Axis and Allies thing goes to hell then we need to be ready for Missouri to invade again, just like the stories grandaddy tells."

From a legal standpoint its a decent militia code. However, during the "oh shit, were in this for the long haul" phase of OIF (2004-2006), there was a big grass roots move to reinstate the State Guard due to our propensity to suffer natural events. From where I sat, it seemed very sincere, albeit simple-minded. Nonetheless, it was dispatched with extreme prejudice by state leadership. While practical reasons were cited (and they were indeed legion), I suspect that the real motivation was political.

So, in a T2K world, I suspect that you would have the gamut. States with a well developed and traditional State Guard (SG) may be a robust force for supporting civilian authorities. Conversely, such a force could be politically exploited by a Governor for nefarious political purposes, a mafia or praetorian guard. In a state without an active SG a Governor (or Legislature) could invoke long forgotten police powers under militia statutes dating to WW2 or even the 1918-19 flu pandemic IOT either lawfully restore order or deputize the local bosses friends as law enforcement/tax collectors/henchmen.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the idea of state guards in a Twilight 2000 campaign is a GM's dream.