View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
One problem is combat is a chaos enviroment. And the new fangled easy to communicate equipment of today, well people as we call it in the civilian side will be stepping on one another. The ease of use of equipment means it will be used more and more, often by those less skilled and disciplined. End result alot of folks will be on the radio making it difficult to get a message out. Or for HQ to determine who is who and what info is comming in and where the event is occuring.

Also,

Inside a town or city, you will have all kinds of tall buildings and metal which will interfere with your signal. And then all the other waves out there, other radio nets, enemy nets and freqs, scramblers, electronic interference, concussions and movement will all mess with your reception. And of course atmospherics as well <remember the movie A Bridge Too Far? They mentioned that> Wet climates reduce verses dry, flat and open terrain easier, built up or mountainous is harder.

And today cell phones and walkie talkies work off of repeaters that bounce the signal allowing you contact. In a combat enviroment they won't be working, however, in one game I had a radio repeater or booster in one of the PCs vehicles which allowed them to increase radio transmission capability, as well as to listen at an even greater distance.
Vehicle Mounted repeaters are a good idea to, even some police cars have that. As to atmospherics, they have an effect too. I talked to Canada on 1 watt on my walkie-talkie across Lake Erie by standing at the shore. I once picked up out local police department on UHF as far away as Canton, Ohio because of ducting in the atmosphere. Then again, you have other factors you pointed out too. Then again, it could be up to the ref if the plot requires it and it somewhat plausible.

Chuck M.