View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbru
Seconded. Welcome Slappy.

Actually, no I didn't. I merely can't see the reason for expanding further beyond a geographical feature like a major river when you expanded towards that feature in the first place so that you could stay safe and secure behind it. I cannot see the point of territorial conquest north and east of the Rhine. I do not rule out territorial conquest for France however. The very move to the Rhine was territorial conquest,-to establish a strong geographical border. Furthermore RDF Sourcebook suggests that France is expanding their influence in the Iran-Iraq region (Gulf states,yes?) Further I would have them reasserting their former African empire from Algeria right around the West coast of Africa to Cameroon and beyond. Would the Diamond trade in the Congo still be valued in the T2K world? Franco Belgian Union don't forget.
I misunderstood you, sorry. I disagree entirely with the RDF book and see this to be more than unrealistic. An alliance with EAU and Oman is likely but that's it. IMO the suez canal is closed. For Algeria, not a Chance! (too painful for the French). Moreover, I expect France to be at war with Algeria, Algerian conducting an active piracy similar to that existing today in Somalia. However, they would possibly build a type of commonwealth including Morocco (if it survived), Tunisia (almost sure), Senegal, Cameroon, Gabon, Madagascar...

[/QUOTE]
By "Landers" do you mean Belgium & Netherlands etc? And, Germany's valuable mineral resources would be greatly coveted, by Germany.
[/QUOTE]

I shouldn't have put an "s" to this. I simply mean the Länder of Germany (Saxony, Westphalia...). For the ressources part will be coveted by Germany I'm sure but large part of Germany are unproperly protected. I'm not saying that this will be an easy task for the French. On this matter, possibilities are almost endless. As Marc said it's open to a scenaria and it will depend on how well this operation is conducted. Don't forget that France and Germany have been collaborating a lot and the French involvement doesn't have to be an invasion.

[/QUOTE]
"Like", maybe, "want" I could even see, but "need"? I'm less convinced that they would "need" a safe route to Poland, and would it have to be a land route?, passing through Germany?[/QUOTE]

They might not want it and leave Poland alone of course. However, if they start thinking of it, it will be a land route and air corridor going through Germany. There is no other choice as a sea route appears to be less reliable (IMO).