RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Default You come over a hill and see this...

Playing Real Racing 3 and thought about Formula One race tracks and what equipment players might find there.

Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM

If you find a load of unused tyres there... don't bother, there is a reason they are unused!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Ah...interesting! That would be a cool show stopping find, even if youre not too far into cars...
Old 07-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Probably going to find some tools, might find some lubricants (grease, etc.), slender chance you might find fuel.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Banned

All kinds of things you can find there - spare parts, lubrication, fuel for sure (almost impossible to get all the fuel out of an underground storage tank for instance), material to make repairs for vehicle bodies.

A parallel here in the US would be a NASCAR track or Indy of course
Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 AM

Great place for a mechanized force to laager up for a while. Covered areas specifically designed for vehicles to roll into and be worked on. Maybe a few elevated observation points in the form of marshal towers and camera stands. Potentially some overlooked salvage too. Copper wiring, globes and signal switches, moveable barriers, mesh fencing, onsite water storage, radio and TV masts, PA speakers. All manner of potentially useful stuff.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Interesting side note is that this racecourse is about a mile from where the Malmedy Massacre took place during the battle of the Bulge.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 PM

Default Why should you not bother with the unused tires?

"If you find a load of unused tyres there... don't bother, there is a reason they are unused!"

Why should you not bother with the unused tires? I have to admit, I don't know that reason. Not sure many people I've played with would know either.

So after the PCs spend X hours (days?) mounting the 'new' and unused tires they found on their HMMVW, LAV-25, Unimog, URAL375 and HEMMET and various trailers what happens as they drive off?

If they are "factory seconds,' they still might be better then what the average PC group has on their wear value 8 LAV-25?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 AM

Formula 1 has had a few issues with the tyres used on the race cars this season, most notably at the British Grand Prix when there were a number of high speed blow outs during the race.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22294880

There were also issues at the Spanish Grand Prix earlier in the season when most cars had to change tyres multiple times because the tyres were degrading too quickly. It's probably not something that would come up unless you were an Formula 1 fan - basically the tyres are designed to have a limited life so that teams must change them during the course of a race (it's part of a range of measures implemented to keep things "interesting" for the fans). It's not a new problem per se (tyres caused a huge problem at the US Grand Prix in Indianapolis a few years ago when all but six cars had to withdraw on safety reasons) but this year they definitely don't seem to have managed to get it right (in their defence, the manufacturers claim that they have made exactly what they were asked to make by the sport's Governing body). Granted, the tyres that we're talking about are the current ones, which I would imagine are totally different to the mid - late 90's spec which would be found in the Twilight War.

That said, I have to say I'm not convinced an actual race circuit itself would yield that much useful salvage. The F1 teams tend to descend upon the circuit on a Thursday before race weekend and they bring almost everything they need with them. They then pack up on a Sunday night and take everything away again. So whilst some of the stuff that Targan mentioned and which forms part of the site infrastructure (e.g. fencing) would obviously be in situ, I'm less convinced that there would be supplies of fuel or tools (or, for that matter tyres). A Team Headquarters on the other hand would probably yield all sorts of useful stuff (as best as I can recall with the obvious exception of Ferrari most of the major teams were based in England at the end of the 90's - McLaren were / are in Woking, Williams were in Oxfordshire).
Old 07-20-2013, 02:12 AM

and while you guys are being practical im thinking of racing humvee's.

but seriously that would be useful for teaching conscripts just picked up better combat driving. in addition to being invaluable for any mechanised or motorised force.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 AM

Humvees with scythes. I was thinking Car Wars!