RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Default OT - Anzac Day

Today is Anzac Day in Australia and New Zealand, a national holiday in both countries which was originally meant to commemorate the Gallipoli Campaign in WWI but has since become a general day of remembrance. Dawn services are held in both countries on this day and increasing numbers of Australians and New Zealanders travel to Turkey each year for the dawn services in and around Anzac Cove.

I personally am very fond of Anzac Day because I am a citizen of both Australia and New Zealand and the day is shared by both countries. Australia and New Zealand have very close bonds, militarily, culturally, socially and economically. Their relationship with one another is perhaps not unique but I regard it as being unusual and special.

Anyway, today my respect and thoughts go out to those who have served both countries in war, and to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Lest We Forget.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Happy ANZAC day from your Commonwealth Brothers in Canada
Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Happy Belated ANZAC Day to my Aussie and Kiwi cousins! May you never find yourselves under the command of another Pommy bastard!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 PM
[Armchair Commando]

Send a message via MSN to Snake Eyes Send a message via Yahoo to Snake Eyes

A few of my pals ands I found ourselves in an Outback Steakhouse on ANZAC Day by chance a few years back. We hoisted many Steinlagers in honor of our digger allies that night.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 PM

Default Remembering the fallen

That time of year has come around again. It's a sacred day of remembrance for Australians and New Zealanders.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

And thank you to all who have served, particularly those who have been deployed. I don't think civvies can ever really understand the sacrifices involved. Respect.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Much respect to Australian and New Zealander service men and women. I salute you.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 04-24-2016, 06:11 PM

Default I will never forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Today is Anzac Day in Australia and New Zealand, a national holiday in both countries which was originally meant to commemorate the Gallipoli Campaign in WWI but has since become a general day of remembrance. Dawn services are held in both countries on this day and increasing numbers of Australians and New Zealanders travel to Turkey each year for the dawn services in and around Anzac Cove.

I personally am very fond of Anzac Day because I am a citizen of both Australia and New Zealand and the day is shared by both countries. Australia and New Zealand have very close bonds, militarily, culturally, socially and economically. Their relationship with one another is perhaps not unique but I regard it as being unusual and special.

Anyway, today my respect and thoughts go out to those who have served both countries in war, and to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Lest We Forget.
Thanks for your post;
And thank you and your brothers for being with us when we were in need.
God bless
Tis better to see them afor they see you.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 PM

I miss standing guard on the cenotaph. Highlight of the entire year and one hell of an honour in my opinion to represent all those who've gone before.
The free drinks and war stories for the rest of the day weren't bad either. Lots of laughter, a few tears, the occasional quiet moment as the missing are remembered.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 04-24-2016, 07:35 PM

I too say,"Thanks!" Gallipoli showed what "colonials" were and are made of.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
I too say,"Thanks!" Gallipoli showed what "colonials" were and are made of.
Yeah, flesh and blood, torn apart by the Turkish machineguns and artillery.
It was a turning point though in the way war was fought. Before then it was all about set piece battles with soldiers in formation. ANZAC troops were soon showing the rest of the world how to adapt to the changed technology and carry out the principles of fire and movement on an individual and small unit scale - what sane person would continue to march forward with fixed bayonets and empty magazines when they could dash, dive, crawl and shoot?

Using these new "common sense" techniques, ANZACs went on to take the most ground and capture the most prisoners of all the western armies (as a percentage of number of troops fielded). As an example, a single section (9 men) of Australians was able to take ground that had held up an entire British Battalion (of course this was lost again soon after the Australians moved on). Can't remember where and when - I'll post details when I find it.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 04-25-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Yeah, flesh and blood, torn apart by the Turkish machineguns and artillery.
It was a turning point though in the way war was fought. Before then it was all about set piece battles with soldiers in formation. ANZAC troops were soon showing the rest of the world how to adapt to the changed technology and carry out the principles of fire and movement on an individual and small unit scale - what sane person would continue to march forward with fixed bayonets and empty magazines when they could dash, dive, crawl and shoot?

Using these new "common sense" techniques, ANZACs went on to take the most ground and capture the most prisoners of all the western armies (as a percentage of number of troops fielded). As an example, a single section (9 men) of Australians was able to take ground that had held up an entire British Battalion (of course this was lost again soon after the Australians moved on). Can't remember where and when - I'll post details when I find it.
The saddest part was waiting for command's attitudes to catch up. The Ion Idress books "The Scout" and it's companion on sniping during WWI to train Aussies for WWII were interesting.