RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default new guy/equipment comment

I.M.Perfect 08-02-2005, 06:38 PM First off "Hia All" now I have been playing T2K v.1 since it first came out. Since my time in the army(early 90s) I have let my players but stuff out of U.S.Cav mags. Does anyone else do this? Do you have set rules?

ReHerakhte 08-03-2005, 03:54 AM G'Day from one of the Aussies on the list!

As for letting Players get stuff out of military catalogues, yes I have done that but it was always with the warning that as Referee, I ALWAYS have the final say. Most people didn't abuse it so we never developed specific rules.

Cheers,

Kevin

Antenna 08-03-2005, 09:02 PM Welcome aboard ...

I wish I had any of those magazines handy when players starts to discous items to be bougth. Eventually those who wish to be gearheads it is up to me (GM discreation) to allow items to be aviable in the game ...

Well, at least my present crowd just want a weapon that works and some ammo, they bought the concept of the poor armyman trying to get items along the road to Krakow. Well, eventually I can get one player who has been Idle Rich to have some neat prewar items that the group really wants around. But since my crowd is really well behaved (at least when it comes to charcreation) they really get into the concept of my gameworld of T2k... That is

GM: In Krakow, you can find anything...

Player: Really, can I find boots for my player that aint made of old tires and canvas?

GM: It is there for a price of course ...

Player: Oh man, this aint sound good ...

Antenna

TR 08-05-2005, 10:49 PM Heck back when the game came out that's how we rounded out our PC's kit by going through Brigade Quartermaster, US Cavalry and similiar catalogs of the period for military goods to append the lists of starting equipment.

DeaconR 08-06-2005, 09:51 AM Not only is it a good source but you can use it to give 'character' to people's gear as well. I agree with Atenna though, you must always to keep the flavour of the game consider what is really available and what gives atmosphere. For instance: my players go to a well defended compound not far from the chaos and anarchy of New Jersey upon rumors that the leader will trade ammunition for vehicles, vehicle parts and repairs and fuel. They find that this is true, but the only vehicles that he has are a beaten up looking 1/4 ton pickup that is held together with rust, an SUV with holes shot through it, and an ancient looking Volkswagon. I partly did this to emphasize that the worn out landrover the players had was actually a top of the line vehicle by the standards of many and also to make it not easy for them to just buy another vehicle.

thefusilier 08-09-2005, 10:46 PM Hello and welcome.

I agree as well. Different catalogues are great especially for some of my players who never knew what kind of gear was available to soldiers. BUT I also limit what they can have since I never liked games when the players had all kinds of gear and vehicles... it took away the desperation atmosphere.

abaumgartg 08-10-2005, 03:06 AM It has been years since I ran a t2k game. I have a few books about WWI & WWII focusing on the campaigns in Africa, Asia, the middle East, and the resistance fighters in all areas of the wars. I found the photos of pieced together vehicles, zip-guns, home-made boots held together by canvas and string, and all the other scrapped together eqipment really brought home that a functioning weapon or vehicle was a prized possesion and good boots were the best thing in the world.

graebardeII 08-14-2005, 05:33 PM There is an phrase I use, hence the phrase I call the ref, dm, pd, etc the HoG (Hand of God), "the lord giveth and the lord taketh away". I have been a pretty lenient HoG, but stay within the context of things are sht in T2K. I also run on the "you can do any thing you want in T2K as long as your willing to pay the price." <evil grin inserted>

muahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaa

grae

TR 08-14-2005, 05:50 PM This sounds familiar... being able to get positive rolls against all odds smiting the GM's attempt to throw a moneky wrench in the game usually meant our characters got rained on for the next month in the game...

ReHerakhte 08-15-2005, 06:12 AM I had a GM who at the start of the Dark Matter game he was running said something along the lines of, "You can do anything you like during the game, if you think something is worth trying, then try it."

That was all fine and well... until he ended with "There are no restrictions, only consequences."

That was something like five years ago now and I have never forgotten that phrase!

Cheers,

Kevin

graebardeII 08-16-2005, 06:37 PM such as real life. You can try anything, but everything has a consequence. This is the premise I have always run under.

As for evil HoGs... the first I had was THE master of evil. You NEVER took a ruck off, even in the deepest desolate woods, and turned your back on it. It would vanish into thin air every time. I am NOT so evil, but there are ways to make things disappear. And weather is a variable factor, depending on what patterns you wish to follow.. drought or too much precipitation.. never the right amount.

Abbott Shaull 08-16-2005, 07:35 PM Fred isn't that truth no matter if it is in RPG or out in the field in Real Life. Being that as it is and through Basic Training at Fort Benning and later during my time at Fort Bragg and the various location that the powers may be thought a Airborne/Parachute Infantry Task Force must be sent for whatever reason. While in barracks the weather was perfect. Once we left the various choice mode of transportation the Air Farce C-130 Weather Control Craft would fly around the AO and make sure it was either raining or snowing the entire time we were out...lol I for one usually left my sleeping bag packed, but when it started to snow I would drag it out...lol....

Abbott

chico20854 08-17-2005, 06:32 AM Well, as a NCO much wiser than I said:

"It ain't training if it ain't raining!"

Ed the Coastie 08-29-2005, 12:25 AM ...my players go to a well defended compound not far from the chaos and anarchy of New Jersey upon rumors that the leader will trade ammunition for vehicles, vehicle parts and repairs and fuel. They find that this is true, but the only vehicles that he has are a beaten up looking 1/4 ton pickup that is held together with rust, an SUV with holes shot through it, and an ancient looking Volkswagon...

You know, I think we stumbled across that guy during an FTX in the New Jersey Pine Barrens back in the mid-80's.