RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2016, 07:28 AM

Default Trump huge boon for the apocalypse

Maybe a problem in real life, but it seems that a Trump presidency would create possibilities for T2017 that were unimaginable just six months ago. There's really no limit to who could be at war or at what scale. Even with a loss, there will be fodder for doomsday scenarios for years to come.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

If you seen either the film or tv series based on Stephen King's "The Dead Zone", you might remember the quirky-then-insane candidate for president, whose future was to deliberately start a nuclear war.
Frighteningly oracular, that.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:36 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
Maybe a problem in real life, but it seems that a Trump presidency would create possibilities for T2017 that were unimaginable just six months ago. There's really no limit to who could be at war or at what scale. Even with a loss, there will be fodder for doomsday scenarios for years to come.

Russia-Ukraine
Russia-NATO in Baltic States (Remember the multinational force isolated in TW2000 near the Baltic in Poland)
North Korea and the World
China-Japan-Phillipines over South China Sea
Mexico-USA (Over Drugs and Immigration)
Canada and rest of NATO vs USA (USA wants to annex Canada - Read the book Exxoneration)
Middle East everywhere.
Africa EXCEPT of all places South Africa.

Just a few spots...
Old 08-17-2016, 01:03 PM

Kind of what I was thinking.

A NATO v. Russia conflict is pretty easy to see. France would likely sit out.

China makes a grab for Taiwan while the US is busy in Europe leading to a general China/N Korea v. US/S Korea/Japan dustup in the east.

Spreads to the middle east with US backing Saudis and Russia Syria and Iran.

One or both go nuclear as one side is pushed to the edge.

A US v. Mexico struggle of one sort or another emerges.

The pieces required to leave the world in a situation close to T2k canon haven't been so (un)favorable for twenty years.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:06 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

To get into the paranoia of a "Red Dawn" scenario, have a large number of Asian and "Ukranian" or "Uzbek" refugees who suddenly rise up to crush the slothful unprepared lazy Capitalist drones.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Kind of what I was thinking.

A NATO v. Russia conflict is pretty easy to see. France would likely sit out.
I beg to differ. I am sure Trump could insult them both together, so France would make common cause with Russia.

The rest of NATO who donates less than the % of GDP that the US does to defense (having been also insulted by Trump) would sit it out.

Quote:
China makes a grab for Taiwan while the US is busy in Europe leading to a general China/N Korea v. US/S Korea/Japan dustup in the east.

Spreads to the middle east with US backing Saudis and Russia Syria and Iran.
US aircraft on patrol attack Russian aircraft as they try to strike (US-backed moderate) rebels. I'm almost surprised this has not happened already.

A second option would be an escalation of Russo-Turkish tensions, with the US coming to aid its NATO ally.

Oh, wait...

Quote:
One or both go nuclear as one side is pushed to the edge.

A US v. Mexico struggle of one sort or another emerges.
Billing over the wall. Or Mexico using nuclear demolitions (supplied by Russia) to destroy parts of the wall once built.

Quote:
The pieces required to leave the world in a situation close to T2k canon haven't been so (un)favorable for twenty years.
I have to agree - some of the wackier parts of canon seem much more plausible under a President Trump...

(and I suspect we are getting dangerously close to (pointless) political argument...

Uncle Ted
Old 08-17-2016, 10:30 PM

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
I beg to differ. I am sure Trump could insult them both together, so France would make common cause with Russia.

The rest of NATO who donates less than the % of GDP that the US does to defense (having been also insulted by Trump) would sit it out.

US aircraft on patrol attack Russian aircraft as they try to strike (US-backed moderate) rebels. I'm almost surprised this has not happened already.

A second option would be an escalation of Russo-Turkish tensions, with the US coming to aid its NATO ally.

Oh, wait...

Billing over the wall. Or Mexico using nuclear demolitions (supplied by Russia) to destroy parts of the wall once built.

I have to agree - some of the wackier parts of canon seem much more plausible under a President Trump...

(and I suspect we are getting dangerously close to (pointless) political argument...

Uncle Ted
Got that part right.
Tis better to see them afor they see you.