RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2015, 09:25 AM

Default Twilight 2000 Disclaimer?

Anyone point me to a standard disclaimer I can use?
I'm putting together an alternate setting sourcebook in PDF form, for use with T2K 2.x, and wanted to add disclaimer copy.

Thanks in advance!

T.C.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:42 AM

This link specifically mentions Traveller, but as far as I know the content applies to Twilight 2000 - obviously you'd need to change any references to Traveller to Twilight 2000

http://www.farfuture.net/FFEFairUsePolicy2008.pdf
Old 11-07-2015, 01:38 PM

great, thanks!
Old 11-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Registered Registrant

And if you have any queries, send an email to Mr Miller at that website. Far Future Enterprises is pretty much a one-man show but I've always found him willing to answer questions.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Banned

And his response time is also very fast - sent him a question about my East African Sourcebook asking if I had properly applied his Fair Use Policy and he answered it (in the affirmative) within a few hours.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Banned

it would be great if some of the stuff that has been created here on this forum and others like it could be put together into some kind of fan canon collection and put out there as new material for the Twilight and Merc games like the original Challenge Magazine articles were

Didnt I hear once that a few years ago they were considering doing some kind of special edition of Challenge magazine at one time with submissions by people like us - thought I read that here in an archive post at one time or another
Old 11-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Registered Registrant

That "special" edition of Challenge was being done by a third party and not actually by FFE and as far as anyone knew not by anyone directly associated with GDW.
I vaguely recall that they were seeking money before they were seeking articles and it never went anywhere because they couldn't raise the funds.

EDIT: As for the whole idea of making a collection of fan material for T2k, you could just as easily put it into a fan ezine... oh, that's already been done and it appears that people lost interest in contributing after the first issue.

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 11-17-2015 at 05:18 PM. Reason: adding
Old 11-17-2015, 05:23 PM
Banned

thats too bad - I know we did have our own one issue Challenge mag here on the forum - wonder if FFE ever considered doing something like that to show that there are still a lot of fans of MERC and Twilight 2000 and Twilight 2300 AD that are out there and its not just old material from the 80's and 90's but instead a dedicated fan base that is still creating new stuff like in the old Challenge days - heck Paul alone has enough with all the stuff he has done on vehicles and weapons and aircraft to do twenty articles
Old 11-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
That "special" edition of Challenge was being done by a third party and not actually by FFE and as far as anyone knew not by anyone directly associated with GDW.
I vaguely recall that they were seeking money before they were seeking articles and it never went anywhere because they couldn't raise the funds.

EDIT: As for the whole idea of making a collection of fan material for T2k, you could just as easily put it into a fan ezine... oh, that's already been done and it appears that people lost interest in contributing after the first issue.
There were people who were still interested - heck if people have articles they want to put together they can send them to me - I would love to try my hand at putting together issue 2

I was hoping Grimace would start another issue but not sure if it was disinterest or if he ran out of time to do it - I am still writing stuff - have several things I am working on - real life (including two relocations, a long time spent in a hotel while we moved, losing a job and finding and starting a new one) have been in the way but finally getting some time again
Old 11-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Registered Registrant

I would say that the biggest problem and I do consider this the primary reason that we haven't seen fanzines flourishing for T2k is as follows: -

1. Ultimately it's pretty damned easy to stat out more weapons and marginally less difficult to stat out more vehicles. Many people won't even need to do that because they can readily tap into what's already been done by people like Paul.

2. There's only a percentage of the player base that wants detailed pre-war & mid-war OOBs and timelines however these seem to be over-represented in the collections of fan made material. So much so, that many outsiders paint T2k as a wargame more than an RPG and fail to realize that most T2k players are not so interested in that level of detail, they just wanna play!

3. The items that really come in useful for a Referee are the articles that very few people appear to want to write - adventure scenarios, information pieces (e.g. location guides, rules clarifications, useful equipment, special NPCs, house rules and so on), plot hooks, useful game resources, how-to guides and the like.

I'd argue that what most players and GMs want is something akin to the Bangkok Sourcebook instead of another weapons or vehicles guide - it's a good mix of background info, equipment (vehicles, weapons etc.) and adventures.
Sadly it seems that over the years, there has only ever been a handful of people producing that kind of material and most of them are members here and have already been gracious enough to share their writings with us!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Banned

I think there is still a place for a fanzine even if the first few issues were a regurgitation of stuff that has already been posted here - there is A LOT of information on this site and having it presented in fanzine format would be nice to have - even with the search feature some stuff is spread here and there thru half a dozen or more threads and you have to spend the time really digging in to find some nice gems among the debates
Old 11-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
I think there is still a place for a fanzine even if the first few issues were a regurgitation of stuff that has already been posted here - there is A LOT of information on this site and having it presented in fanzine format would be nice to have - even with the search feature some stuff is spread here and there thru half a dozen or more threads and you have to spend the time really digging in to find some nice gems among the debates
And I am not in any way disagreeing with you about that, my comments, while lamenting the lack of material that many gamers want to see in a magazine, also indirectly hinted at the material that is already available from some of the members here.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:41 AM
The Stat Guy

I know we have the thread map, but what about digests of material on this board and from other, relevant places on the web? Maybe more stories based on this information (as I am trying to do; it's had to use Creative Writing muscles that haven't been used much since college); Matt basically wrote a novella in his posts.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 11-18-2015 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Wrong attribution
Old 11-18-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Sorry, but that’s not accurate Stainless. Several people – including me – gave Grimace enough material to produce multiple follow on issues. If there was a lack of interest it wasn’t from the contributors.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Sorry, but that’s not accurate Stainless. Several people – including me – gave Grimace enough material to produce multiple follow on issues. If there was a lack of interest it wasn’t from the contributors.
Fair point. My mistake, apologies to all for the negative comment.
This is what happens when you gob off without checking your facts!
You're quite right to correct me, many times with fanzines that cease, it's a lack of material that brings them to a stop, however it's also quite common for the people producing it to become burnt out and so it's not for a lack of submissions that it ceases.

In a somewhat more constructive tone I'll add that when it comes to fanzines, ideally you want a small group doing the production so that all the sorting of submissions, editing, laying out, sourcing of images, getting permissions from the various game companies etc. etc. can be divided amongst the group. One person can easily get swamped by all the tasks required and their enthusiasm for the project can quickly diminish. And when it's just one person, any real world situations that arise are going to necessarily take priority over a hobby interest.