RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default OT My Job

TiggerCCW UK 06-13-2008, 02:51 PM Its Friday night, I'm in work and I'm getting paid to watch Stiff Little Fingers. Its a hard life :biggrin: Their 30th anniversary tour, and we're hosting the home town gig - things could get a bit messy tonight :beer:

weswood 06-13-2008, 03:18 PM How ironic, I was thinking last nite of starting a thread called "Coolest Job on the Board".

I was going to nominate Targon, blowing stuff up is pretty damn fun, but your job comes in mighty close.

simonmark6 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM Would a "Suspect Device" now be a "Possible IED"? Doesn't scan as well does it?

TiggerCCW UK 06-14-2008, 09:09 AM Last nights gig was amazing. Very probably the best gig I've seen in the Union. I've worked there 3 years, probably average 2 gigs a week, and the Fingers blew all others out of the water. The crowd loved it, drank plenty of beer and behaved themselves really well - I don't think we threw anyone out of the gig at all. The music was fantastic, the guys still sound the same and put a massive amount of energy into their performances, and having met them backstage afterwards I have to say they're really nice guys as well. Cracking night all round.

Wes - the job certainly has its moments, but its not all fun and games. It'll soon be October and the start of term with 80 plus hours a week. For the meantime though, I'll enjoy the summer and the 20 or so hour weeks.

Targan 06-14-2008, 10:24 AM I was going to nominate Targon, blowing stuff up is pretty damn fun, but your job comes in mighty close.I'm not a shotfirer any more. For the past 9 years I've been a professional media monitor. I get paid to listen to the radio and watch TV for 7.5 hours per day.

I nominate Gunner Law for the "Coolest Job On The Boards Award". Respect.

Targan 06-14-2008, 10:28 AM Would a "Suspect Device" now be a "Possible IED"? Doesn't scan as well does it?I dunno, PIED is a pretty handy acronym. In a similar way that a nuclear power station meltdown is referred to as a UFS (Unrequested Fission Surplus).

simonmark6 06-14-2008, 12:54 PM I dunno, PIED is a pretty handy acronym. In a similar way that a nuclear power station meltdown is referred to as a UFS (Unrequested Fission Surplus).

I once heard the invasion of Grenada described as a pre dawn vertical inserstion, althought someone might have been pulling my leg, it sounds more like early morning sex....

pmulcahy 06-14-2008, 02:23 PM Ford's experimental battery-powered car, the Volt, has had problems where the batteries suddenly go up in flames. The engineers refer to this as an "Unplanned Thermal Event."

weswood 06-14-2008, 03:42 PM I nominate Gunner Law for the "Coolest Job On The Boards Award". Respect.

I thought about that too, but the whole being shot at and have your men get killed (and possibly him, too, of course) took away a lot of the coolness. Not the respect, never that, but I don't have that much a case of job envy.

TiggerCCW UK 06-15-2008, 05:05 PM One of the not so good nights tonight - just cut my finger open and staved my hand restraining a punter after he'd chinned one of my door staff. And then the little bollocks complains to the police that we were heavy handed with him.

Targan 06-15-2008, 11:45 PM Someone stole my bicycle about 15 minutes ago. Now I'll be walking 10km per day. I want to hurt someone real bad.

TiggerCCW UK 06-16-2008, 12:20 AM I want to hurt someone real bad.

I know how you feel. Just got up and I can barely move my right thumb, and the cuts on my left hand are still bleeding a bit. Yay - I always love spending Monday morning in casualty. Just a precaution for my thumb, but a couple of years ago I thought I'd staved a finger and after a couple of days it turned out to be broken.

General Pain 06-16-2008, 06:22 AM Someone stole my bicycle about 15 minutes ago. Now I'll be walking 10km per day. I want to hurt someone real bad.

That's crap Targan...All of my bikes were stolen in the last 5 years..all 4 of them...including one I bought for 150 NOK on the way home fram nachspiel from a guy who neded taxi-money

Now I use City-bikes it costs me 70 NOK a year...5 NOK = 1 USD aprox...

Targan 06-16-2008, 07:04 AM My biggest problem is that I finish work at 21:30 each night and I am going to have to move through 5km of some pretty dodgy territory on foot. I'm going to have to arm myself because if I get jumped by multiple attackers I'm not certain I could deal with them with just my hands and feet. I'm not quite in prime fighting form any more, but I'll go down swinging. So many scum in the world, I swear. I never start fights or steal peoples' shit and all I want is the same in return. I'm very depressed.

General Pain 06-16-2008, 02:55 PM My biggest problem is that I finish work at 21:30 each night and I am going to have to move through 5km of some pretty dodgy territory on foot. I'm going to have to arm myself because if I get jumped by multiple attackers I'm not certain I could deal with them with just my hands and feet. I'm not quite in prime fighting form any more, but I'll go down swinging. So many scum in the world, I swear. I never start fights or steal peoples' shit and all I want is the same in return. I'm very depressed.

maybe this will cheer you up ?

http://netscrap.com/netscrap_detail.cfm?scrap_id=29

TiggerCCW UK 06-17-2008, 04:17 AM Sorry to hear that Targan. Stay safe buddy. I know what you mean about scum bags - the guy that I had the run in with on Sunday was a case in point. He'd thrown a pint at the band at the start of the gig (which is exactly why we use plastic glasses) and got put out, smacking one of my guys and breaking his glasses in the process. After mouthing a wee bit at the door he disappeared off up the street. About two hours later he turned up in the gig again, we're guessing one of his mates let him in a fire door. When he was spotted my security guys moved in to grab him agan and he tried to leg it, slipped and banged his head on a wall. He was taken outside and seeing as I'm the first aider for the building I was called for to check on him. As I was trying to figure out whether he was ok or not he launched himself into me, knocked me off balance and I ended up cutting my left hand and wrecking my right thumb. I managed to get a decent hold on him and restrained him until Plod turned up. Wasn't worth pressing charges so we settled for them cautioning hm and moving the prick on. You try to help someone and they attack you? Scumbags the lot of them.

Good news is after my trip to casualty and 10 x-rays (+D6 rads?) my thumb isn't broken, just badly staved and really sore. Have to keep it strapped up for a week or so, which is making typing interesting.

Targan 06-17-2008, 04:26 AM Good to hear that your thumb isn't broken Tig. I am the designated first aider at my workplace too. Done a fair bit of splinting of bones, applying pressure to bleeds and (in my own case) a bit of sewing as well over the years. That guy you describe sounds like a total half-wit. Lets hope he gets arse cancer and it spreads to his knob eh?

TiggerCCW UK 06-17-2008, 04:44 AM Arse cancer? Liek the sound of it. For him obviously, not me. I find with gobshites like that karma usually takes care of them - if they're arsey with us they'll be arsey with someone else who'll batter the tar out of them. Thankfully I haven't had too many breaks to deal with over the years. Queens isn't the worst place to work that way either - for any of the big events we hire in private paramedics who take over from me. Mostly I'm dealing with cuts, burns, sprains etc. Pretty much the only broken bones I worry about are noses, when people get a bit lively. I've had to do CPR a couple of times (not in Queens) for cardiac arrests. One made it, which is a great feeling, one didn't, which isn't such a good feeling.

Targan 06-17-2008, 04:50 AM One made it, which is a great feeling, one didn't, which isn't such a good feeling.You brought someone back? The statistics for CPR aren't very promising in the case of cardiac arrests so well done, awesome work. And for the one that didn't survive well, at least you tried. Sure dying sucks but it would have to be much better for a person in their last few moments to know that someone was trying to help them. No one should have to die alone. The only CPR I've performed was on my dog and he didn't make it. I think he suffered a stroke though so there really wasn't any hope anyway.

TiggerCCW UK 06-17-2008, 05:21 AM Nothing as dramatic as bringing him back - I just kept him going till the ambulance got there and defibb'd him. Happened back in '97. Still see him knocking around town now and again. George, the man who didn't make it, was probably long dead before we got to him. He'd had the attack sitting at a table in the corner of the bar and just looked like he'd fallen asleep. Pieceing it together afterwards we think he could have been sitting there dead for almost an hour. It was his normal form on a Saturday night - come in, have a rake of pints and fall asleep. That night he just didn't wake up for us to get him a taxi.

Targan 06-17-2008, 05:50 AM Oh well, nearly as good. Sounds like ole George would have died quite contented anyway. In his favourite place, drinking pints, going quietly. Really not a bad way to go. Worse for you and your bar staff but not so bad at all for George.

All Merlin had for me when he went was some dog snot. The only way I could perform mouth to mouth on him was by holding his muzzle closed and blowing into his nose. Chest compressions were almost impossible because of the shape of his chest. He was a huge Rhodesian ridgeback and digging a human-sized grave for him the next morning before work really sucked.

TiggerCCW UK 06-17-2008, 05:53 AM Very true in George's case - the last time I remember seeing him alive he was dancing with a 19 year old girl, which may have contributed to the situation! I'm sorry about the loss of your dog, its never easy losing a friend, two or four legged.

General Pain 06-17-2008, 12:46 PM Good to hear that your thumb isn't broken Tig. I am the designated first aider at my workplace too. Done a fair bit of splinting of bones, applying pressure to bleeds and (in my own case) a bit of sewing as well over the years. That guy you describe sounds like a total half-wit. Lets hope he gets arse cancer and it spreads to his knob eh?

LOL

Do you watch southpark btw......in the episode called "scott tenorman must die" Cartman gets the Band Radiohead to visit southpark cause C. says Scott T has Canser....in his arse - one of my favorit eps.

Poor Merchant 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM Gosh, all this CPR and violence on a Saturday night makes my job seem rather mundane. I work for a wine importer here in the UK and whenever the sales team are short of a body I step in and do wine tastings at our customers premises, and train their staff. This has its ups and downs - one of our major customers has a supply contract with a chain of "gentlemens" clubs in London and the surrounding area - so I spent last week travelling around the city to teach a huge number of very attractive young ladies (whom I naievely thought would not be dressed for "work" at 11.30am) about why our champagne was way better than the competition (of course the prime reason its better for them was the size of commission they get every time a punter buys a bottle!).

Of course, both my wife and the girls in the office were making fun of me all week about this. In a month or so its Brighton Gay Pride and I will be pouring various "pink" wines there - so not all gorgeous young women. Still its better than selling baked beans.

TiggerCCW UK 06-18-2008, 02:57 PM In fairness, most of the time my place is comparitively tame. I'm 17 years in the trade now and for the amount of drink we shift we get very little trouble. I suppose in my case its the law of averages - spend all your time in bars and eventually you'll get caught in a brawl.