RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Default Return to the bad old days?

Just been on the news here, there has been a drive by shooting on an army base not far from Belfast. Two confirmed dead so far plus four - six wounded. The base is home to an Engineer regiment. I truly thought we were past this sort of thing here, but the threat level has been at a high level for the last couple of weeks. My thoughts and prayers are with the wounded and the families of the deceased.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Links to the news about the shootings so far;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7930837.stm

http://www3.u.tv/news/LocalNews/inde...sel2=1&local=1
Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 PM

A little bit removed, but along the same lines. There was the attack against the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan.

A Merc mission in the making maybe?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Just saw this on the BBC website too

My memory is a bit hazy but ISTR what really kicked the peace process into line all those years ago now was the IRA calling a ceasefire for a year and the locals in NI thinking "Hey, this not getting shot at or blown up business isn't so bad."

Of course Sinn Feinn are spouting the usual lines about "Its the BRITISH ARMY's fault for being there.."
Old 03-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

A question, could it have been a drug deal or some other criminal act gone bad, or something the victims or the victims mistaken for and their colegueas in crime wanted some payback?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:38 PM

I just heard that this morning. The time being and the world situation may result in the wolves coming out of the wood.

Our president and several government members here (about ten) have received a bullet and a death warrant.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

It is indeed a strange situation when I am hoping that it is either drug dealers or Islamic terrorists who happen to be armed with high powered weapons. Let us all hope whatever it is, that it is only a small scale action and not the beginning of something bigger.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
A question, could it have been a drug deal or some other criminal act gone bad, or something the victims or the victims mistaken for and their colegueas in crime wanted some payback?
Best guess at the minute is dissident republicans - most likely Continuity IRA or Real IRA. Current rumour is that the dead and wounded were part of the security on duty and that they were expecting a pizza delivery. The terrs turned up in a pizza van and targeted those that came out of the barracks. Hopefully this is an isolated incident, but the dissidents did target the police last month with a 300lb IED in Castlewellan. They left the bomb near a primary school and phoned in a warning so vague that it took a couple of days searching to find it. There have been a number of shooting incidents involving the police as well, including one off duty policeman being murdered last year after dropping his children to school.

I've said it here before that I truly believed that the province had started to grow up and move away from this sort of shit. This is a great country and far and away the vast majority of the population want to live in peace. Its just a shame that the actions of a very small minority of scum on both sides could drag us all back to the bollocks of the past.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:53 AM

I have the feeling that the probability of them being die-hard IRA (or IRA want-be) fueled by general insatisfaction has a good chance to come up as being the truth. I agree with you all that we should hope that it doesn't go any further. As long as this remain isolated and as long as the officials on all side don't get paranoy, there is a good chance that this will be the case.

Nevertheless, If I remain optimistic, I'm also convinced that everything remain possible nowadays. I'm pretty sure nobody truly understand the current situation, I would doubt of anyone planning on the future, and I'm equally convinced that the current situation can drive the world to the best as much as to the worse. The longer the crisis, the most uncertain the situation.

On one side, I can believe that the economy gets better, that Obama reduces the world tension, that many local conflicts end up in peace and that we build a new world order .

On the other side, I could trust that our civilisation collapses to be replaced by another one, that we start to see general unrest and even revolutions, that local terrorism rises again, or that we end up with a global conflict of unprecedented scale .

However, this is fantasy from a writer and gamer. Let's live and see . About Northern Ireland, I hope that it remains as it is and continue its path to final peace. I'm convinced of what Tigger says about the people and I trust them to keep to their senses. Best wishes.